Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Card variations

The birthday season in our family is in full swing, and I realized a couple of weeks ago that I don't have a very big selection of kid-friendly birthday cards in my stash. I wanted to create a few cards that were quick but also cute. An easy way to do that is to use one layout and then make small changes, such as color combo or embellishments, to give each card its own personality.

Three cards with punched triangles arranged like a banner, one neutral color combo, one masculine (blue and green) and one feminine (pink and light green).
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Paper: Pink Pirouette, Certainly Celery, Baja Breeze, Pacific Point, Tempting Turquoise, Whisper White cardstock; silver glimmer paper; Banbury Designer Series Paper (DSP), Muirfield DSP, DSP Patterns Stack - Brights Collection (retired)
Accessories: Petite Pennants Builder punch, sall heart punch, Merry Minis punch pack, paper-piercing tool and mat, mini silver brads, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I wanted one girly card, a boyish one, and one that could be for either gender, so I chose three packs of retired DSP and punched five pennants from different prints in each pack. (This is a great way to use up some of those little DSP scraps you may be hoarding. Not that I'd know anything about that. Ahem.) I also chose the color of my card base and card stock layer from the colors in the DSP. To decorate the pennants, I added stars and hearts punched from cardstock and silver glimmer paper.

To create the banner, I made a hole in the top corners of each pennant with a paper-piercing tool and attached them together with mini silver brads. I pierced a hole in each side of the cardstock layer and placed a brad through the end pennant and then through the cardstock. (Note: Before piercing the holes in the cardstock, lay the banner across it to get an idea of where the holes should be placed; if the holes are too far apart, the banner will be too short.)  You also could use a Glue Dot behind one or more of the pennants to keep them in place; I actually like the little bit of movement in the "free" banner.

To finish the cards, I adhered two 1/4" strips of silver glimmer paper to each card base and then used Dimensionals to attach the layer to the card front. The only stamping I did was inside these cards, so they were especially easy to make. And although I made these cards with kids in mind, I think they could be used for adults, too.

Thanks for stopping by!



No comments: