Monday, August 12, 2013

'Quilted' hexagons

Two of the things I was really excited to get in my latest Stampin' Up! order were the stamp set called Six-Sided Sampler and the coordinating hexagon punch. I had a chance to play with them this weekend, and I wanted to try making a card that had the feel of a quilt. Here is my first attempt:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Six-Sided Sampler
Cardstock: Whisper White, Wild Wasabi
Ink: Wild Wasabi, So Saffron, Perfect Plum
Accessories: Hexagon punch, Square Lattice embossing folder, Bitty Buttons, white crochet thread (DMC), Glue Dots, Mono Multi liquid glue

To make the background, I cut a piece of Whisper White cardstock to 5-3/8" x 4-1/8". I stamped and punched out the hexagons -- cutting up some of them to fill in the spaces around the edges -- and used Mono Multi liquid glue to adhere them to the white cardstock. I trimmed the stray pieces around the edges, embossed the panel with the Square Lattice embossing folder and adhered it to a Wild Wasabi card base.

I wrapped a piece of So Saffron ribbon around the card front and made a coordinating bow by forming a loop with a piece of ribbon and then adhering another small piece around the middle of the loop. For a last embellishment, I tied crochet thread in several Bitty Buttons and used Glue Dots to adhere the buttons to the middle of the So Saffron hexagons.

So what do you think? It honestly doesn't look quite as "quilt-y" as I was hoping. I think a different arrangement of colors might have helped; maybe I'll have to look up some quilt patterns made with hexagons. I also was hoping that the embossing would have been a little more defined, so I might try an extra shim next time.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: