Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cards with camo

While I was stamping last weekend I decided to make more cards with the Undefined stamp set I carved a few weeks ago. Since I put the effort into carving it, I should use it, right? So I pulled out the stamp that looks like an amoeba -- or coral if you want a beachier comparison -- and started to fill a whole piece of cardstock with that image. (I used to do that in college while I was listening to lectures. Of course I drew each one by hand back then, which took a lot more time than stamping.) As I got going, I realized it was looking like a camouflage print, so I put it to use on a couple of masculine cards.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Undefined, Yukon
Cardstock: Naturals Ivory, Baked Brown Sugar
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar
Accessories: Burlap ribbon, Candy Dots - Neutrals, Dimensionals

What do you think? I originally did the stamping in two colors of ink, but it didn't look quite right to me. I switched to a monochromatic color scheme, and I like it much better. (I do like the idea of multicolored camo, though, so I'll have to give it another try later.) I wanted to add a few embellishments -- but nothing too girly, of course -- so I adhered a strip of burlap ribbon to the background and placed three Candy Dots on the focal layer and another one in the lower right corner. These Candy Dots are from the Neutrals color collection, so they are actually Soft Suede, but I think they work very well with the Baked Brown Sugar cardstock and ink.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Undefined, Wolf
Cardstock: Whisper White, Smoky Slate, Basic Gray
Ink: Smoky Slate, Basic Gray
Accessories: Candy Dots - Neutrals, linen thread

I had a little more trouble with this layout since this focal image was quite a bit smaller than the first one. I switched the orientation of the card from vertical to horizontal and added a narrow strip of Smoky Slate cardstock next to each side of the stamped background. I tried something different with the linen thread and cut several short pieces, which I adhered behind the focal layer. I added a couple of Candy Dots on the main image and stamped a paw print in the lower right corner to fill up a little of the empty space.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: