Monday, August 19, 2013

More hexagons

Last week I posted a "quilted" hexagon card made with the Six-Sided Sampler stamp set (that's a mouthful!) and the hexagon punch. It's a fun combo, so today I'm going to share two more cards made with both of those items as well as the Honeycomb embossing folder.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Six-Sided Sampler
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Chocolate Chip cardstock; Season of Style Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Honeycomb embossing folder, hexagon punch, 2-1/2" circle punch, Old Olive grosgrain ribbon, Candy Dots - Brights, Dimensionals

To make the focal image for this card, I started by stamping the hexagon outline image seven times on a piece of the Season of Style DSP and punched them out. Then I punched a 2-1/2" circle out of scrap cardstock and adhered one of the hexagons in the middle of the circle. I added the other hexagons around the center one by lining up the edges. For the center of the "flower," I stamped the outline image and a sentiment on Whisper White cardstock, trimmed it out by hand and adhered it to the center hexagon with Dimensionals. I added Old Olive ribbon behind the flower to look like leaves and then attached the flower to the Honeycomb-embossed background with Dimensionals. To add another touch of Old Olive I placed a Candy Dot in the lower left corner.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Six-Sided Sampler
Cardstock: Smoky Slate, Whisper White
Ink: Smoky Slate, Crushed Curry, Coastal Cabana
Accessories: Honeycomb embossing folder, hexagon punch, corner rounder, Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim, pearls, Dimensionals

For this card I chose three of the hexagon images from the Six-Sided Sample set and stamped each image in a different color (Crushed Curry, Smoky Slate or Coastal Cabana) several times on Whisper White cardstock. I punched out the hexagons and adhered them to the Honeycomb-embossed background. I added some emphasis to the sentiment by adhering Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim behind the hexagon. With all the straight lines and angles on this card, I love that little touch of frill. I also added a pearl at each spot where at least two of the hexagons met. I love the idea of the pearls, but after I finished the card, I thought they might have been a bit too much. What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: