Thursday, December 6, 2012

Quick kid cards

I have a couple of young cousins who are celebrating their birthdays this month, but I discovered yesterday that I didn't have any kid-themed birthday cards on hand. So yesterday after work I sat down with two of my 8" x 8" printed card stock stacks and spent a few hours making some quick and easy kid birthday cards.

Birthday card with bright blue, green and orange circles, stars and stripes and a banner that says "celebrate."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Perfect Party
Card stock: The Glitter Stack (DCWV), Whisper White
Ink: Pacific Point
Accessories: Merry Minis punch pack, 1/8" hole punch, Island Indigo baker's twine, Dimensionals

To make this 3" x 6" card I trimmed one sheet of the printed card stock to 6" x 6" and folded it in half. I used a coordinating pattern from the pack to add a layer along the left side of the card, and I punched a 1/8" hole along the fold so I could wrap baker's twine around the card front. I discovered that the star punch from the Merry Minis punch pack from Stampin' Up! was exactly the same shape as the stars in this paper -- just a little larger -- so I punched out a few stars (I used the strips I trimmed from the card base) to add as embellishment. It's hard to see in the photo, but this patterned card stock has glitter accents on it, so this card has a fun sparkle to it.

Birthday card with pastel plaid background, small scalloped flowers and a light green ribbon.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Birthday Greetings
Card stock: The Glitter Stack (DCWV), Whisper White
Ink: Lavender Lace
Accessories: Spring green grosgrain ribbon, 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Mini Glue Dots, Dimensionals

This is another 3" x 6" card using two coordinating patterns of printed glitter card stock, but this card has a girly feel. Again, I love that one of Stampin' Up!'s mini punches worked perfectly with the printed images (the flower shapes aren't exactly the same, but you can't tell unless you really look closely). I used three pieces of ribbon to make the embellishment: one long piece adhered across the card front, one smaller piece with one end adhered over the other to form a circle, and one very small piece wrapped around the circle, creating two loops.

Two square birthday cards with brown, pink and orange patterned paper (one stripes and one circles and flowers) and the sentiment "celebrate you."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Party Hearty
Card stock: The Glitter Stack (DCWV), Whisper White, Chocolate Chip
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: 1-3/4" circle punch, 1" circle punch, 2-3/8" circle punch, Melon Mambo pom pom trim, Dimensionals

These two cards, which are 3-1/2" square, aren't really limited to being kid cards; they would be great for sisters, girlfriends, moms, etc. Did you notice that for the center of each focal point I added a circle of the printed card stock used for the other card? These are cards that will probably be hand-delivered (or tucked into a gift), because I don't have the right size envelopes on hand, and the pom pom trim is just a little bulky.

Safari-themed kids card with animal patterned paper. The focal point is four punched squares, three with an animal and one that says "look who's turning ( )" (fill in the age).
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: On Your Birthday
Card stock: Safari Kids stack (DCWV), River Rock, Night of Navy
Ink: Night of Navy
Accessories: Postage stamp punch, hemp twine, Dimensionals

For this card I cut a 4" x 5-1/4" piece of patterned card stock and adhered it to the front of an A2-size Night of Navy card base (4-1/4" x 5-1/2"). I used the postage stamp punch to punch out three animals from a coordinating print and one square of River Rock card stock. I stamped the card stock with a sentiment (I'll write in the age with a marker before I send the card) and then adhered the squares to the card with Dimensionals. I added hemp twine around the bottom of the card for a little safari-appropriate embellishment.

Green kids birthday card with a scalloped circle punched from the corner to look like an alligator chomped it. Has patterned paper with alligators, leaves and other shapes.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Happiest Birthday Wishes
Card stock: Safari Kids stack (DCWV), Gumball Green, Whisper White
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: 1-3/4" circle punch, 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, mini pearls - baby boy assortment (Doodlebug Design, Inc.), Dimensionals

This card uses three different coordinating papers: the background strip, the main panel and the scalloped circle. It's the only card of the bunch that didn't have glitter accents in the paper, so I added a green mini pearl in three of the corners of the brown layer. In addition to using the scallop circle punch to make the focal point, I also used it to cut off the top right corner of the card. Those hungry alligators must have been in my card-making supplies again!



Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: