Thursday, December 20, 2012

Last-minute Christmas cards

I had thought I was finished making and sending all my Christmas cards until my dad called a couple of nights ago. He wanted to know if I had any extra cards he could buy from me (nothing like procrastinating, right?). Now, he's bought Christmas cards from me in the past, and most years I have plenty left because I always seem to make more than I need. But this year I just didn't have the time to make as many cards, so I only had three extras (and that was after I used several left-over cards from previous years).

My dad sounded disappointed and said he needed six to eight cards, so I told him I'd make some cards that night. I wanted -- no, needed -- these to be quick cards because I was making them the same night I made my treat bags for work. So they weren't fancy or highly embellished, but I still think they turned out cute.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Jolly Bingo Bits, More Merry Messages
Card stock: Very Vanilla, Not Quite Navy, Always Artichoke, Cherry Cobbler
Ink:  Not Quite Navy, Always Artichoke, Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: 1" square punch, Postage Stamp punch, rhinetsones

I made four cards each of two different designs. This design was especially quick because I used the layout from a previous Christmas card and just changed the images, colors and greeting. Easy peasy. I added a single rhinestones on top of the tree for a touch of sparkle.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Peaceful Season, Nature's Gift (Close to My Heart)
Card stock: Naturals Ivory, Soft Suede
Ink: Crumb Cake, Soft Suede
Accessories: Sponge, linen thread

This card took a bit longer to design because I had to play around with the layout of the stamped images before I found an arrangement that worked. I was okay with that, though, because I really like this stamp set, and I had been a little disappointed that I didn't use it for any of my own Christmas cards this year. (I love creating nature- and animal-themed holiday cards; to me, they truly exemplify the sentiment of peace.) Once I had the stamping done, I sponged the edges of the Naturals Ivory panel with Crumb Cake ink and layered it on a Soft Suede card base. I added the linen thread for a touch of natural-looking embellishment.

I didn't have a chance to ask my dad what he thought of these cards -- he picked them up from me at work, but I was in the midst of putting toddlers down for nap time -- so I hope he liked them. But now I think I am really and truly done with Christmas cards ... I hope.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: