Saturday, July 21, 2012

The bee's knees

With summer in full swing, I decided today to make a few cards that included images of bumblebees.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Garden Variety (Unity Stamp Company)
Card stock: Whisper White, Basic Gray, Daffodil Delight
Ink: Basic Gray, Daffodil Delight
Accessories: Fun Flowers die, 1-3/8" circle punch, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Frost White shimmer paint, Daffodil Delight stitched grosgrain ribbon, Dimensionals

I love the color combination of yellow and gray, and bumblebees are a perfect fit for that combo. For the background on this card I stamped the bees in Basic Gray and colored them with Daffodil Delight. For a little bit of shimmer I used a small paintbrush to add shimmer paint on the bees' wings. I die cut two flowers for the focal point; I embossed the larger one with polka dots and cut slits in the petals of the smaller one. I stamped and punched out one more bee for the center and adhered the flower to the card front over the Daffodil Delight ribbon.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: A Quiet Life
Card stock: Whisper White, Raspberry Ripple, Basic Black
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Summer Starfruit, Raspberry Ripple, Gumball Green
Accessories: Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, 1/8" Basic Black taffeta ribbon, Blender Pen, Frost White shimmer paint, Little Labels punch pack, Dimensionals

To start this card, I stamped the bumblebee and frame image twice on Whisper White card stock. Using a Blender Pen and ink pads, I colored just the frame on the first image and just the bee on the second (I also added shimmer paint on the bee's wings). I trimmed both frames around the outside edge and also cut out the inside of the image with the colored frame.

Using Dimensionals, I layered the frame over the image of the bee. I punched two shapes from the Little Labels punch pack out of Basic Black card stock and glued one to the back of each side of the frame.

To add some texture, I embossed the card front with the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder. Then I wrapped a piece of Basic Black ribbon around the card front and adhered the frame over the ribbon.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Botanicals
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Cherry Cobbler, Basic Black
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake
Accessories: Adorning Accents Edgelits dies and embossing folders, Little Labels punch pack, Blender Pen, 1/8" Basic Black taffeta ribbon, pearls, color spritzer tool

For this card I used a collage style to stamp the images on Very Vanilla card stock and then spritzed it with the color spritzer tool and Cherry Cobbler marker. I tore the edges of the card stock and inked them with the Crumb Cake ink pad. For visual interest I adhered the stamped card stock to the card front at an angle and then layered a piece of die-cut and embossed Cherry Cobbler along the bottom of the card. I punched three shapes from the Little Labels punch pack out of Basic Black card stock and glued them over the edges of the stamped piece. For the last little details, I added a few pearls and tied a piece of ribbon around the card front.

 Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: