Sunday, July 22, 2012

Christmas color flip

Yesterday I wanted to make a couple of Christmas cards with the new Festival of Prints Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack from Stampin' Up!® I chose one sheet of DSP that featured two colors (Cherry Cobbler on one side and Lucky Limeade on the other) and added a few stamps, some punches and a little bit of ribbon. Here are the results:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Quint-Essential Flower, Merry Minis
Paper: Lucky Limeade, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla card stock; Festival of Prints DSP
Ink: Cherry Cobbler, Lucky Limeade
Accessories: Merry Minis punch pack, 1-3/4" and 2-3/8" scallop circle punches, 3/4" circle punch, Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon, Lucky Limeade ruffled ribbon, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

I titled this post "Christmas color flip" because I just flipped the colors on these two cards; everywhere I used Lucky Limeade on one card, I switched to Cherry Cobbler on the other (and vice versa). I wouldn't have thought that these two colors would work together, but I really like them; I think Lucky Limeade makes Cherry Cobbler more vibrant, and Cherry Cobbler mellows the Lucky Limeade a bit.

I started with one sheet of DSP (4-1/2" x 6-1/2") and cut it in half to 4-1/2" x 3-1/4". Then I cut a 1-1/2" strip off the side of each piece and flipped it over to reveal the other print. For each card I adhered the DSP to Very Vanilla card stock (4-3/4" x 3-1/2"), added ribbon to hide the seams and centered the pieces on the card front.

For embellishment I used the Quint-Essential stamp and scallop circle punches. (I was inspired to try this by another Stampin' Up! demonstrator who commented on a card I had made with this stamp. She mentioned that she wanted to use this stamp on her Christmas cards, and I thought I'd give it a try, too.) I stamped the image twice in each color, punched one large and one medium scallop circle from each color and then layered them together. I adhered a Very Vanilla circle to the center of each flower and then added one of the stamped and punched images from the Merry Minis set.

There you have it: two quick Christmas cards. You could easily add more embellishment to these cards. I thought about adding some pearls or rhinestones, but I decided that I really liked the simplicity of them the way they are. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: