Saturday, July 7, 2012

Tweet Leaves

This morning I had fun playing with another one of my new Stampin' Up!® stamps, Tweet Leaves. This stamp, like the Frightening Feline stamp I used for my Halloween card yesterday, is an a la carte
(i.e., single) stamp from the upcoming Holiday Catalog. I think Stampin' Up! has done a great job with the a la carte stamps this year. I love the images, and I also like that they are now featured in the catalogs in their respective sections instead of being grouped together at the beginning or end of the catalog. It's much easier, at least for me, to imagine ideas when I see them together on the page with coordinating images or products. Anywho, on with my cards for today; the first one is pretty feminine, and the second has a more masculine feel.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tweet Leaves, Sweet Essentials
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Marina Mist
Ink: VersaMark, Crumb Cake, Marina Mist, Real Red, Old Olive
Accessories: Autumn Accents die, Large Scallop Edgelits die, Delicate Designs embossing folder, Victoria crochet trim, Lucky Limeade ruffled ribbon, 1/8" Real Red taffeta ribbon, linen thread, basic pearls, sponge daubers, Embossing Buddy, clear embossing powder, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Big Shot Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets, Sticky Strip, Dimensionals

With this card I wanted to take a fall-themed stamp and create a card that I could use sometime other than September to November. And after making this card I decided that with the right colors, this stamp really could work for just about any season.

I used the emboss resist technique on the focal point. Here's a quick rundown: I die cut the leaf and then used the Stamp-a-Ma-Jig tool to line up the image and stamp it on the leaf with VersaMark ink. I embossed it with clear embossing powder and used sponge daubers to apply ink over the entire die-cut leaf. Then I used a tissue to gently rub the ink off the embossed image. Finally I wrapped a piece of linen thread around the stem and tied it in a bow.

For the bottom of the card, I first die cut and embossed a strip of Marina Mist card stock. To add the crochet trim, I applied Big Shot Multipurpose Adhesive to the back of the Marina Mist card stock and then just adhered the trim, gathering it a bit as I pressed it to the adhesive. I added a piece of Sticky Strip near the top of the piece of Marina Mist to be sure it stuck to the card. Then I added a couple more layers of ribbon (love that the Lucky Limeade ribbon coordinates with the Old Olive ink), a greeting and a pearl and adhered the leaf to the card with Dimensionals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tweet Leaves
Card stock: Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Old Olive, More Mustard
Ink: Early Espresso, Old Olive (marker), More Mustard (pad and marker)
Accessories: Autumn Accents die, Woodgrain embossing folder, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Very Vanilla seam binding ribbon, linen thread, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Tombow multipurpose glue, Dimensionals

For this second card I started by embossing the card front with the new Woodgrain embossing folder. I stamped the Tweet Leaves stamp in Early Espresso on the leaf die cut using my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig and then used More Mustard and Old Olive markers to color in a few details on the stamp.
I also stamped the image again in More Mustard, cut out the image of the bird and adhered it over the bird in the first image. I rubbed my bone folder along the edges of the leaf to distress it just a bit (it's hard to see in the photos), adhered it to an Old Olive die-cut leaf and wrapped linen thread around the stem.

I wanted to add some additional texture to the card, so I took two more die-cut leaves, spritzed them with water, crumpled them, opened them back up and set them aside to dry. I embossed the die-cut acorn with polka dots, layered the three pieces together and adhered them and the stamped leaf to the card base (after adding the ribbon) with Dimensionals.

For the inside of this card, I simply added a layer of Very Vanilla card stock and a few more of the die-cut leaves. Here's a little card stock-saving tip: When I cut out the Old Olive leaves, my card stock wasn't quite big enough to cover the whole die, so I ended up with a couple of half leaves. I was going to toss them, but instead I adhered one of them at the edge of the Very Vanilla layer so it looks like it was meant to be that way. (OK, actually it was just me being too lazy to cut more leaves, but hey, it worked!)

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. Hi Andrea,
    You convinced me...I have to get this stamp! I have the die arriving tomorrow in my preorder box but now I'll order the stamp with confidence. Love what you did with both projects. Especially love the emboss resist idea! Perfect for fall cards. Might even embelish with some leaves die cut from copper flashing!

  2. I love this stamp and your two cards! Thanks for the ideas! :)