Friday, July 6, 2012

Halloween cat

Yesterday I received my first order of goodies from the soon-to-be-released Stampin' Up!® Holiday Catalog. Yippee! (I even paid for expedited shipping, which I very rarely do, because I wanted to be sure my order arrived in time for me to be crafty this weekend.) This afternoon I sat down to make my first card, a fun little Halloween number:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Frightening Feline, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White, Old Olive card stock; Designer Series Paper (DSP) Patterns Stack - Brights Collection; Silver Glimmer Paper
Ink: Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive ink pads; Basic Black marker
Accessories: Chevron embossing folder, Woodgrain embossing folder, Tasteful Trim die, 1/8" Old Olive taffeta ribbon, Brights Glimmer brads, rhinestones, Dimensionals

I suppose that intro was a tad bit misleading, since I really used only two brand-new items on this card: the Woodgrain embossing folder and the cat stamp. But since the stamp is the focal point of the card, I figure it's all good.

This card is quite a bit more involved than my Halloween cards usually are, but once I got going I was on a roll. I started by stamping the cat with Pumpkin Pie ink on Whisper White card stock. I used a marker to doodle an outline around the image. (I had thought about doing this when I first saw the stamp in the catalog, so I'm pleased it actually worked.)

With that done, I started adding on the details. I used two different embossing folders: Chevron on the polka dot DSP and Woodgrain on the Basic Black. I included a few different types of sparkle: silver glimmer paper accents cut with the Tasteful Trim die, a glimmer brad in the lower right corner and the rhinestones for the cat's eyes. I also added a bit of Old Olive taffeta ribbon to bring in one more touch of green.

Now, I couldn't have a card be this fancy on the outside and then leave the inside plain. I started with a layer of Whisper White card stock then added a piece of polka dot DSP and a strip of the glimmer paper rick-rack accent. I finished with a simple greeting. It's not overly fancy, but it's got a bit of bling.

I hope to have some more cards to post later this weekend. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: