Thursday, December 22, 2011

Birthday 'gift' card

Toward the end of my card-making session last weekend (see my Birthday card bonanza post), I was running out of original ideas for cards. I decided to try punching and cutting some squares and rectangles out of patterned paper and arranging them on the front of the card to look like wrapped gifts. Here is the result:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Warmest Regards
Paper: Welcome Neighbor Designer Series Paper (DSP) pad; card stock: Soft Sky, Bermuda Bay, Pumpkin Pie, Melon Mambo, Crushed Curry
Ink: Bermuda Bay
Accessories: Simply Scored tool, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, 1" square punch, 1-3/8" square punch, Boho Blossoms punch, basic rhinestones, primary rhinestones (me & my BIG ideas), Dimensionals

I used DSP that had subtle, small-scale patterns so it would look similar to wrapping paper. For the "ribbon" on each present, I cut a strip of coordinating card stock that was approximately 1/8" wide and adhered it to the DSP, trimming the ends as needed. For each of the "bows" I punched two shapes: the middle-sized flower from the Boho Blossoms punch and the scalloped shape from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack. I layered the punched shapes, added a rhinestone (some are colored, some are clear) and adhered the bow to the top of the present.

To assemble the card, I played with the arrangement of the presents until I had a layout I liked and then glued them to the card base. I overlapped the presents -- and adhered the Crushed Curry one with Dimensionals -- to add some depth. For the last little details, I added three scored lines along the bottom of the card and a greeting in the upper left corner. I'm happy with the way this card turned out, and I think this design could make a fun set of birthday cards by just changing the patterned paper, color combo and size of the presents.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: