Sunday, February 2, 2014

A whale of a baby card

Baby cards are always so much fun to make. They're cute and sweet and make you go "Awwwww." I don't have too many opportunities to make baby cards, so I enjoyed sitting down to create one yesterday for a cousin's baptism.

Card with a die-cut whale, embossed waves and clouds and a red button embellishment.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Stacks of Wishes, Sweet Essentials
Cardstock: Whisper White, Bashful Blue, Marina Mist, Real Red, Basic Black
Ink: Marina Mist
Accessories: Cloudy Day and Woodgrain embossing folders, Happy Whale Clearlits die, corner rounder, Marina Mist dotted scallop ribbon, white baker's twine, Designer Buttons - Playground, wave scissors (Provo Craft), 1/16" hole punch, Glue Dots, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

Makes you say, "Awwwwww," right? (Well, that's what I think, but I may be partial.) I started with a Marina Mist card base and added a layer of Whisper White embossed with clouds at the top of the card. Using the Happy Whale Clearlits die, which includes whale, water splashes, heart, anchor and fish shapes, I cut the whale out of Marina Mist cardstock and the heart out of Real Red. I adhered them near the middle of the card and added a 1/16" Basic Black circle for the whale's eye.

For the water, I embossed a piece of Bashful Blue cardstock with the Woodgrain embossing folder and cut along the top edge with a wavy scissors. I wrapped a piece of Marina Mist ribbon around the bottom of the Bashful Blue cardstock and used Dimensionals to adhere it to the card base. For another pop of red I added a button, with a little flag, to the ribbon.

Inside of the baby card there is two small die-cut anchors and the greeting "hello, baby."
Inside the card I added a layer of Whisper White cardstock stamped with "hello, baby." I had a few die-cut shapes left over from cutting out the whale, so I glued the two anchors in the bottom right corner. I really like how that carries over the theme from the front of the card and adds another touch of color.



Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: