Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Watercolor Wetlands

I was so pleased with the way my clean and simple Wetlands note cards turned out that I decided to be brave and try making a more colorful card with the Wetlands stamp set. Here is the result:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Wetlands, Hardwood
Paper: Soft Suede cardstock, watercolor paper
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Soft Suede, Soft Sky, Pool Party, Island Indigo, Always Artichoke
Accessories: Aqua Painter, linen thread, Season of Style washi tape, Glue Dots

I started by stamping the goose with StazOn ink on the watercolor paper. I also stamped the goose on a scratch piece of cardstock and cut out that image to use as a mask. I placed the mask over the first image and stamped the reeds several times on the watercolor paper.

To make the colored background, I dipped an Aqua Painter in various ink colors and "washed" them over the paper. I started with the lightest blue, Soft Sky, at the top of the panel and then blended in Pool Party and Island Indigo as I moved down. I used Always Artichoke for the ground along the bottom.

I wanted a casual feel to the card, so for the card base, I stamped the Hardwood background stamp in Soft Suede ink on Soft Suede cardstock. I wrapped a piece of linen thread around the card front three times, tied it in a knot and used washi tape to adhere the focal panel over the linen thread at an angle.

I think my watercolor skills need a bit more work, but all in all I'm happy with this card. Which do you like better: clean and simple or a little more color? Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Juliette said...

Andrea, thank you soooo much for your previous post using Wetlands! I love that set but just could not get it to work for me until you posted....I made heaps of cards similar to yours and am extremely pleased to be able to use that set. BIG hugs and thanks; am about to try your latest example; looks wonderful!

Juliette

Andrea said...

Thank you so much, Juliette! What a sweet comment. I'm glad I was able to provide some inspiration. I know how frustrating it can be to love a stamp set but get stuck when trying to use it. Happy stamping!