Saturday, January 18, 2020

Bee mine

I love all the hearts and flowers and pinks, reds, and purples of Valentine's Day, but I also think it's fun to take a non-traditional approach. Yellow and black might "bee" a little too non-traditional for some people, but I think it works.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Honey Bee, Pick a Pennant
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Whisper White, Basic Black card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Daffodil Delight, Mango Melody ink pads; light Daffodil Delight Blendabilities marker
Accessories: Detailed Bee dies, Beach House washi tape, Regals enamel shapes, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute). foam tape (3M)

When I saw the Honey Bee Bundle in the latest Stampin' Up! catalog, I thought it was so cute. I love the images and sentiments in the stamp set, and I love that the dies cut out the stamped images as well as a couple of coordinating images, including the honeycomb shape on my cards. I cut two honeycombs out of black card stock for each card (I made four of this design) and adhered them near the middle of a white card base.

I inked up the hive stamp with Daffodil Delight ink, added a bit of Mango Melody around the edges, and then stamped the image on white card stock. I looked through some of my alphabet stamp sets and discovered that the letters in the retired Pick a Pennant set were the perfect size to fit between the lines on the beehive. Yes! So I stamped the punny "bee mine" on the right side of each hive.

I stamped two bee images using black ink (the stamp is designed to create the color gradation on the wings) and colored the stripes with a yellow marker. I die cut the hives and bees and used foam tape to adhere them over the honeycombs on the card bases. I placed a strip of yellow washi tape along the bottom of each card and, to create a little more valentine-y feel, I added a little enamel heart just below the sentiment.

What do you think? Do you gravitate toward red and pink for Valentine's Day, or do you like to try something a little different? Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the yellow & black color combo - could say that it's a bit more refined or "grown-up" than the reds, pinks etc, but...the punny sentiment keeps this light hearted and cheery for a fun occasion.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy!

Sunshine said...

These are un-bee-lieveably cute Andrea! I love the little yellow hearts! I think any colour is fine for Valentines day, it depends on the person you are sending it to, and the sentiment you put on the card.
Sunshne.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks so much, Sunshine!