Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Card ideas for patterned paper

I don't know about you, but I often have a hard time using patterned paper when I'm making cards. Even if I love the colors and the design, sometimes I just can't seem to make it "work." Or, confession time, sometimes patterned paper just seems too pretty to actually use! Well, today I'm going to share three different card layouts with patterned paper that you can use when you need a little inspiration or a little push to use up some of your paper stash.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Thick Whisper White card stock; patterned paper, purple card stock (Close to My Heart)
Ink: White gel pen
Accessories: Celebrate die (Close to My Heart), Balloon Bouquet punch, white crochet thread (DMC), glitter enamel dots, Dimensionals

This is a layout that's perfect when you want the patterned paper to stand out, and it works whether your card has a portrait or landscape orientation. Just cut the patterned paper so one piece is about twice the width of the other, and choose two complimentary patterns. Use a more subtle pattern to balance a very bold or colorful one. For instance, a multicolor flower pattern looks great with tone-on-tone stripes or small polka dots. For this card the green geometric print is actually the reverse side of the colorful "seed" print, which worked out great.

Then you just need to add your focal element(s). I used one bold color to avoid more busy-ness and added a die-cut word, two balloons and three enamel dots. Another option is to cover the "seam" between the patterned papers with a strip of ribbon or card stock and then place your focal image (such as a sentiment in a die-cut circle) on top the ribbon.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Birthday Balloons (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Thick Whisper White card stock, gold glimmer paper; patterned paper, purple card stock (Close to My Heart)
Ink: Gorgeous Grape, gold paint pen (Sharpie)
Accessories: 1-1/4" circle punch, Merry Minis punch pack, Baker's Twine Trio, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals

This layout is a great way to use up scraps of paper that are too pretty to just toss in the recycle bin. The grid pattern can be made with just about any shape -- circles, squares, stars, hearts, flowers, etc. -- so you can customize your card for the recipient or for a specific occasion. And you can have an order to the shapes (my colors/patterns go in diagonal lines) or leave it random.

I wanted to add a sentiment to the front of my card, so I swapped out one of the green patterned circles for a white one stamped with a small greeting. To help it stand out more I added gold dots around the edge of the circle. A bit of gold twine and three gold stars finish it off.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Varied Vases
Paper: Berry Burst, Daffodil Delight, Granny Apple Green, Whisper White card stock; patterned paper (Close to My Heart)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Pansy punch, Itty Bitty Accents punch pack, rhinestones, White Perfect Accents, Sweet Sadie washi tape, Dimensionals

This is a Crazy Z Fold-style card, and I simply used the patterned paper for the background on each panel of the card base. For the focal image I used a couple of different flower punches and bright card stock colors that coordinate with the patterned paper. (Here's a tip: The leaves and the yellow flowers are made with the same punch. I just punched a green flower and then snipped the petals apart to create leaves.) The different fold and extra layer of this card make it feel a little more "special," which I think makes it easier to use up some of those extra-special papers.


I hope you found a layout, tip or idea to inspire you when using patterned papers on your cards. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine. said...

Oh wow! What awesome cards and a fabulous way to use up scraps of DSP! My fave card is the last one, the "Z" fold card, but honestly, they're all great! Like you, I often feel like the DSP is too pretty to cut up, so it doesn't get used! I have to tell myself it's ok to cut it up and use it! Great card Andrea, and yes, very inspiring too!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com