Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A sublime birthday

It's been raining for days in my neck of the woods, and I'm not entirely sure that it will ever stop. So it seems appropriate to post a water-themed card this evening.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: You Are Sublime (Lawn Fawn)
Paper: Brilliant Blue, Whisper White, Granny Apple Green, Call me Clover card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Brilliant Blue; alcohol markers - Cool Gray, Lettuce Green (Copic) and Daffodil Delight, Cherry Cobbler, Pumpkin Pie, Smoky Slate (Blends/
Blendabilities); white gel pen

Accessories: Shadow Box Card Ocean Add On dies and You Are Sublime dies (Lawn Fawn), Stitched Shapes Framelits dies, Tide embossing folder (Lifestyle Crafts), Colorburst Powders (Ken Oliver), fish brads (Recollections), Morning Dew Nuvo Drops (Tonic Studios), Dimensionals

The multicolor circle piece was leftover from a long-ago play session with Colorburst powders. It always had an ocean feel to me, so I turned it into the background for this little submarine scene.

I stamped, colored and die cut the submarine, seaweed/coral and bubbles and arranged them on a circular piece of the Colorburst background. (I like how the circle shape repeats in the bubbles and submarine windows.) It's hard to tell in the photo, but I also applied clear Nuvo Drops to the windows and bubbles to add a little dimension.

I used Dimensionals to attach the focal piece to a Brilliant Blue card base layered with a panel of Brilliant Blue card stock embossed with s swirling water texture. A few whimsical fish brads finish off the front of the card.

Inside I added a panel of white card stock and stamped the birthday sentiment in Brilliant Blue ink in the middle of the panel. Then I surrounded it with a few colorful fish. When I colored the fish I tried to create a scaly texture by first adding a layer of solid color and then dotting the marker over the colored area. I think it's a fun little detail.

For the last little accent I added a few pieces of die-cut seaweed that I had left over from the ocean shadow box card I shared a few months ago. I try to save those extra bits and pieces whenever possible because you never know when they'll come in handy. I just slip them into the package with the coordinating stamps and/or dies.



 

Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

Sunshine. said...

What a fun card,and I absolutely LOVE that gorjusss blue coloured card! Is that from SU? It's a yummy colour:-) The fish brads are so cute and colourful too! Sorry to hear you have had so much rain, I hope the sun shines for you again soon!
Sunshine.
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com