Sunday, July 15, 2018

A 'whale'-y fun shadow box card

If you've read much of my blog, you probably know I lean toward clean and simple cards. That's just what comes naturally to me. But now and then it's fun to shake it up and make something a little different. And it's even better when that something different is also really cute and three dimensional.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Essential Messages (Hero Arts)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, Basic Gray, Blueberry Bushel, Daffodil Delight, Mango Melody, Granny Apple Green, Call Me Clover card stock
Ink: Blueberry Bushel
Accessories: Shadow Box Card dies and Shadow Box Card Ocean Add-On dies (Lawn Fawn), Sun and Clouds dies (Taylored Expressions), Dimensionals, Glue Dots

Isn't that fun? The Shadow Box Card dies and add-on dies from Lawn Fawn are awesome. They cut and score the box (with the opening) as well as the support pieces that go across the inside of the box. You just have to design your card, add adhesive and assemble.

Since this was my first shadow box card, I didn't get too elaborate. I wanted an ocean scene, so I used Crumb Cake for the box, to give the look of sand. I decorated the back of the box to look like the sky and added waves for the middle supports. I attached a die-cut whale to the middle wave and added a few bits of die-cut seaweed and a seashell to the front of the box. (I wish I had gotten a photo that was focused on the back of the box instead of just the front so you could really see how cute it is!)


For the last detail I die cut a white banner, stamped it with "Happy birthday" and adhered it above the opening on the front of the box. I added my "Handmade by" stamp on the side of the box and wrote a message on the back.

One of the best parts of this box card is that it folds flat to fit in a standard A2-sized envelope. The recipient just pulls it out of the envelope, unfolds it, and - voila! - a cute three-dimensional scene.

Thanks for stopping by!







1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Oh that is soooo cute! And I love that it folds flat to post it to someone! Super cute:-)
Sunshine.
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com