Thursday, July 19, 2018

July's Christmas card

After making the birthday blue bird card I shared last week, I decided to use the tree rings die and embossing folder for one of my Christmas card designs. I played with the nature theme and created this card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Petite Pairs
Paper: Thick Very Vanilla, Baked Brown Sugar, Poppy Parade, Old Olive, Garden Green, Very Vanilla card stock; Candlelight Christmas Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Early Espresso
Accessories: Tree Rings Texture Fades (Sizzix - Tim Holtz), Leafy Branch 5 die (Elizabeth Craft Designs), pearls, red enamel dots (Eyelet Outlet), Poppy thick twine (Close to My Heart), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, sponge, Glue Dots

I have to say that the die I used to make the mistletoe has been very versatile. I've also used it to make seaweed for a fish shaker card and as an accent on one of my 2018 easel calendar pages. But I really love how it looks on this card.

I die cut two branches -- one each from Old Olive and Garden Green card stock -- then carefully intertwined them and tied the stems together with red twine. I used strategically placed Glue Dots to adhere the branches to the embossed tree rings die cut (sponged with Early Espresso ink), and a few little pearls are the perfect berries.

To create the card for my focal image, I used a thick Very Vanilla card base. I trimmed a piece of DSP that had some color but wasn't too busy (I like how the circle pattern works with the tree rings die cut), then rounded the corners, sponged the edges and layered it on the card front. I also added clear Wink of Stella glitter to the middle of the circles on the DSP to create a subtle sparkle.

To add the greeting on the front of the card, I stamped a sentiment on a Very Vanilla banner and added it in the lower right corner. Three red enamel dots add another little pop of red.

I even decorated the inside of the card just a bit. I punched a piece of Poppy Parade card stock with the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch and adhered it behind a strip of DSP so that the scallops are just peeking out. I attached that along the bottom of the card and then stamped the sentiment.

After I finished the prototype for this card design, I decided to make five more (since I could get six pieces of DSP from one 12" x 12" sheet). For the other five cards, I actually made the inside of the cards before creating the card fronts. That way I didn't have to worry about spending a lot of time making the front perfect only to mess up the stamp on the inside.

Do you make any Christmas or holiday cards? Have you started yet? If not, there's still some time to celebrate Christmas in July (smile)! Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

I like this card alot! Love the colours and the layout:-)
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com