Saturday, September 23, 2017

Oh, baby!

Next weekend we're having a shower to celebrate the soon-to-be-arriving first baby for one of my cousins. There are a lot of little ones on that side of my family, but it's been a few years since we've had a baby shower. I love shopping for all those adorable little baby things -- and making cute baby cards. I volunteered to make the invitations, and I thought I'd share them.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Onesie (Raisin Boat)
Paper: Sahara Sand, Whisper White, Old Olive card stock; Succulent Garden Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo black; Old Olive, Pear Pizzazz, Always Artichoke markers; Warm Gray No. 3 alcohol marker (Copic Ciao); white gel pen
Accessories: Old Olive brads, white crochet thread (DMC), Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

My cousin doesn't know whether she is having a boy or a girl, so the card design and color combo needed to be neutral. I decided to use Sahara Sand and Old Olive, with white and accents of lighter green (Pear Pizzazz) and darker green (Always Artichoke). I also wanted to keep the layout fairly simple since I needed to make about forty cards of the same design.

I used Sahara Sand card stock for the card base and adhered a strip of plaid Sahara Sand DSP matted with Old Olive near the bottom of the card. I added two Old Olive brads to the strip and drew white faux stitches above and below the DSP.

The focal point of the card -- and the most tedious part to make -- was a onesie. I stamped the main image, along with the little pea pod and "Sweet Pea" sentiment, on white card stock and used markers to add color and shading. The image still looked too stark, so I added some Old Olive polka dots with the fine tip of the marker and a white bow made with crochet thread at the neckline.

I cut out all the onesies by hand and used Dimensionals to adhere them to the card bases, slightly toward the left side of the card. Then I stamped the "oh, baby!" sentiment to the right of the onesie, above the DSP layer.

For the inside of the invites, I typed up the pertinent details and printed them four to a page on standard printer paper. I cut them apart and used double-sided tape to adhere an insert inside each card. (I used just a small piece of tape, so if anyone was so inclined, they could carefully remove the insert and re-use the card.)

I do think these cards are pretty cute, although I was glad when they were done. I also volunteered to make six sets of cards as prizes for shower games, and I'll be sharing those soon. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Wow! Never mind "oh baby",I would say OH M G!! That is a lot of work Andrea, cutting out all those cute onesies by hand! hat a mammoth task! You need to tell "Santa" you need a onesies die so you don't have to cut anymore by hand! The cards are so cute and you did such a great job on them:-) Well done:-)
Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Actually I don't mind the fussy cutting. And these were pretty easy to cut out, since the image isn't very detailed. 😀