Friday, September 29, 2017

Metal meets brick

I know many card-makers have a hard time creating masculine cards, myself included. For me, I think that's at least party because so many embellishments -- rhinestones, glitter, sequins, etc. -- have a decidedly feminine feel, leaving the more manly cards feeling a little boring. I tried to remedy that with this birthday card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Basic Gray card stock, Through the Lens: Metal patterned card stock (Elizabeth Craft Designs), black glimmer paper
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Scribble Happy Birthday die (Poppy Stamps), Brick Wall embossing folder. Metal Mesh and screw brads (Making Memories), sponge

I'm not sure I love the way this card turned out, but it's definitely not boring. I started with a pack of 6" x 6" paper where all the patterns are different close-up photos of metal. I chose a bright, bold piece and layered it on a Basic Gray card base. I cut another smaller piece of Basic Gray card stock, embossed it with a brick wall pattern, lightly sponged on some black ink and adhered it along the top of the card.

I added another metal element to the card with a small piece of metal mesh, which I attached at an angle with two brads I also added a third brad in the lower right corner for balance. To add the sentiment I die cut "happy birthday" out of black glimmer paper and used liquid glue (I can't remember exactly which one) to adhere it over the mesh.

And that's it! What do you think? Too bold? Too busy? Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

I like it! It has 'energy and it's alive with colour! It is different to what you usually do and I really like it! I like the way you have placed the words and the bricks above the splash of colour from the paper! It slapped me in the face, in a GOOD way and said, "WAKE UP, HERE I AM"!! I am loving that coloured paper:-) And those brads are awesome!
Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! It's definitely not my usual style of card. The metal-themed paper is really cool with lots of different looks, but I found it challenging to use on a card. Maybe a smaller piece next time. :)