Saturday, September 2, 2017

A few birthday candles

In my last post I mentioned that Taylored Expressions is hosting a sketch challenge to celebrate its ninth birthday (see the sketch at the bottom of this post), and I shared my first entry for the challenge. Today I made three more cards (yippee!), and here is the next one:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Make A Wish stamp and die combo (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Shimmery White, Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Lemon Lime Twist, Real Red card stock
Ink: Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Lemon Lime Twist, Real Red
Accessories: Stitched Shapes Framelits dies, Streamers embossing folder (Taylored Expressions), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, large iridescent sequins (unknown), Metallics Sequin Assortment, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institue Glitter), Dimensionals

I created another birthday card for the challenge because I have a slew of family and friends celebrating birthdays in the next few months. I need to stock up on the birthday cards!

This card is more subtle and sophisticated than yesterday's, but think it's just as festive. I really wanted the bright, bold colors of the candle to pop, so I used white card stock for the card base and the middle panel. To add some texture and visual interest I embossed the middle panel with the Streamers embossing folder.

One thing that is hard to capture in a photo is the sparkle on this card. The white paper is shimmery card stock, and I used my Wink of Stella brush pen to add glitter to the candle flames, the yellow banner behind the focal layer and some of the embossed streamers on the background.

The last sparkly detail is a scattering of white iridescent sequins. I did stray from the sketch a bit with the sequins because I really wanted to add a few in the upper left corner instead of placing them all along the right side of the card.

The last detail I want to point out is about the die-cut candles. Once I had the three candles adhered to the circle, the red and blue candles looked too long. I fixed the problem by just trimming about 1/4" off the bottom of each candle. The way the candle stamps were designed, you can't tell at all that I altered them a bit.







 I'm halfway through posting my cards for the Taylored Expressions ninth birthday sketch challenge. Stay tuned for the last two. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I think this design would be good for young adult guys - straightforward layout, nice bright colors. (OK, maybe I'd leave the sequins off for a guy - ha!). They can be a tough group to make cards for!
Judy

Andrea said...

That is a tough group! Maybe the sequins could be replaced with wooden stars or enamel circles. And a little less sparkle would probably be okay, too. 😀

Anonymous said...

Oh, good ideas! I do at least know that these extended family members do appreciate the cards. At one point, I thought that purchased cards would be more appropriate or appreciated. But, I got an e-mail from my cousin - her son had asked her why I wasn't making cards anymore & was disappointed. Well...guess I'd better keep at it then!
Judy