Saturday, February 11, 2017

Masculine valentines

I'm back with more of my Meals on Wheels valentines, and today's cards feature some great guy-friendly designs.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Labeler Alphabet
Paper: Whisper White note cards and envelopes; Real Red, Basic Black card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Project Life journaling pen
Accessories: Small heart punch, Mustache die, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

This was definitely one of my favorite designs from the cards I donated. I had completely forgotten I bought the Mustache die ages ago when it was on the Stampin' Up! clearance rack. When I came across it in my die case, I knew I had to make a group of cards with this pun.

I stamped the sentiment with the Labeler Alphabet stamp set. I could have stamped directly on the card base, but I didn't want to risk misspelling something, so I stamped the words on leftover strips of Whisper White card stock, cut them out and adhered them to the card base with Glue Dots.

I didn't want the card to be only black and white, so I intended to stamp the word "mustache" with Real Red ink. Of course I got on a roll with the black ink and forgot to switch colors, so instead I punched out a Real Red heart and added it above the mustache for a little pop of color. I also added a red heart inside the card below the rest of the sentiment.

Obviously I didn't worry about stamping the individual letters perfectly straight or aligned. With these letters I actually like the imperfect look -- it has a bit of charm and seems more authentic to those retro label makers. (The words inside the card were also stamped on separate card stack, cut out and adhered with Glue Dots.)

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Backgrounds Rule, Labeler Alphabet
Paper: Kraft, Real Red, Whisper White card stock; 6" x 6" Wood Designer Card Stock Paper (My Mind's Eye)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Large heart punch, Glue Dots, Dimensionals

For the background on this card (it is note card size, 3-1/2" x 5") I cut a 3" x 4-1/2" piece of woodgrain-style patterned paper and stamped the ruler image on the paper. For the simple focal image I punched a red heart and added the sentiment, which I stamped and cut out of white card stock. To continue the theme inside the card, I wrote a note that said, "I hope your day really measures up."

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: You're My Type
Paper: Vanilla card base (Halcraft); Very Vanilla, Cherry Cobbler card stock; First Edition Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Small heart punch, Cherry-Cobbler striped washi tape, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

For this card design, the trickiest part was cutting out the typewriter by hand. It definitely wasn't hard (although I like to "fussy cut"), but everything else was really straightforward. I adhered a panel of newsprint-style DSP along the left side of the card. (The text was something related to newspapers, so that was a nice coincidence.) I added a strip of washi tape and a small punched heart for a bit of color.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Paper: Naturals Ivory, Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler card stock
Accessories: Sweetheart punch, Love Notes Framelits dies, linen thread, Baker's Twine Trio Pack, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

Okay, I admit that this might not be the most masculine card design. But it's very clean and simple, not at all frilly, so I think it would be an acceptable card for the guy in your life. You could even remove the twine or tie the pieces in a knot instead of a bow to make the card a little more "manly."

I made the arrow with one of the dies from the Love Notes Framelits set, but it wasn't long enough to span the whole punched heart. I cut the arrow in two pieces (about one-third of the way from the point) and glued the tail end on the front of the heart and the pointed end to the back of the heart. Ta da -- a longer arrow!

I have one more group of Meals on Wheels valentines to share in my next post (animal-themed valentines) and I'm going to include links to all the cards I made in case you missed any designs or are looking for some inspiration. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: