Friday, February 6, 2015

Vintage butterflies

For Christmas one of my friends sent me a present that included two vintage-style stamps: a typewriter and a butterfly on a text background. I wanted to send her a thank-you card, which was the perfect opportunity to use one of my new stamps.

Island Indigo card with a layer of Newsprint paper and a focal point of three butterflies.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Butterfly and text (unknown0
Paper: Island Indigo, Very Vanilla card stock; Newsprint Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Island Indigo
Accessories: Stampin' Spritzer, Beach House washi tape, Regals Candy Dots, pearls, yellow twine (Primio), 1/16" hole punch, sponge, Glue Dots

I don't make a lot of vintage-style cards, so it was fun to do something a little different. I started with an Island Indigo card base and gave it a distressed look by repeatedly tapping the surface of the Island Indigo ink pad on the card stock, changing the placement and orientation of the ink pad each time.

One of the prints in the pack of Newsprint DSP looks like old newspaper ads, and I thought that print worked well with the butterfly image. I cut a 4" x 5-1/4" piece of the DSP and tore off the right edge. To add a little color to the paper, I first tapped the Island Indigo ink pad on the paper a few times. Then I unscrewed the sprayer from a Stampin' Spritzer filled with Island Indigo ink and rubbing alcohol, and I let the liquid drip on the paper in a few spots. I also gently flicked the thin tube over the paper to make trails of ink. For contrast, I added two pieces of yellow washi tape near the upper left corner of the DSP.

Close-up photo showing the raised wings of the butterflies.
To adhere the DSP to the card base, I applied adhesive just along the left side, leaving the torn right edge free. Near the lower right corner I punched two small holes -- one on either side of the torn edge of DSP -- and tied a piece of yellow twine through the holes.

For the focal point, I stamped the butterfly and text image six times with Memento Tuxedo Black on Very Vanilla card stock. With three of the images, I trimmed around the text, leaving a narrow border. With the other three images, I cut out the butterfly shape, gently folded up the wings and used Glue Dots to adhere them over the full images. I like the little bit of depth and dimension that adds to the card.

I placed three small pearls on each butterfly and sponged Island Indigo ink around the edges of the rectangular pieces. I adhered the three butterfly pieces to the DSP in a column, leaving space between the bottom two to add three Crushed Curry Candy Dots.


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: