Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My favorite valentine

After I finished my one hundred valentines for Meals on Wheels, I realized that I hadn't made any valentines to send out myself. So that became last weekend's project. I wanted a design that was simple, but classic -- nothing frilly or mushy or too feminine. And since I needed to make about eighteen cards, which is more than I usually make of one design, I wanted a layout that I wouldn't get tired of. What I came up with may be my favorite valentine ever.

Naturals Ivory card base with a border doodled around the edges. Within the border are six hearts punched from paper with different patterns, colors and textures.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Basic Black, Naturals Ivory card stock; Natural Composition Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP), DSP Patterns Stack - Brights, First Edition Specialty DSP, sheet music (unknown, recycled), cork sheet (unknown)
Ink: Project Life journaling pen
Accessories: Sweetheart punch, Lacy Brocade embossing folder, linen thread, rhinestones, Glue Dots

It just makes me so happy! It's perfect for anyone -- guys or girls, family or friends -- and the different patterns and textures add a lot of interest to the simple layout.

When I was making my Meals on Wheels valentines, one of the designs I really liked was a simple 4" x 4" card with four punched hearts adhered to the front. That was my starting point for this card, but I wanted to step it up just a little. In my paper stash I found a few neutral-colored prints and textures that worked well together, and then I added in a punch of red. The embossed Basic Black heart brings in another texture while also providing a visual break from the busy-ness of the different patterns.

I wanted to frame the hearts, so I doodled a border around the edges of the card front. If you're not a doodler, this might look hard or seem intimidating, but it's not. I just drew one wavy line all around the card, drew another line over it, and then drew a series of loops in one spot on each side. The best part is that each one looks different, and it doesn't have to be perfect. At all.

To finish the card I added a few simple rhinestones and a linen thread bow. I tied the bow, trimmed the ends of the thread and then used a Glue Dot to adhere it to the red heart. Here's a tip: If you roll the Glue dot into a tube, then it's small enough to hide behind the knot in the bow.

I hope you have a happy Valentine's Day. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: