Saturday, February 7, 2015

A few flowers

I know it's only the beginning of February, but I'm ready for spring. Although this winter hasn't seemed as bad as some in recent memory (knock on wood), I seem to have less patience for it --especially the snow -- every year. So since I'm hankering for green grass and warm breezes, today I thought I'd focus on a few cards with flowers.

Multiple textures and patterns are combined in this card featuring a magenta and yellow flower with an ombre chevron background on a green card base.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Dictionary, Geo-Graphic (Paper Smooches)
Paper: Old Olive, Daffodil Delight, Purely Pomegranate, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Old Olive, Daffodil Delight
Accessories: Flower Fair Framelits dies, Brights buttons, Decorative Dots embossing folder, paper-piercing tool, 3/4" circle punch, white baker's twine

I love all the different patterns and textures on this card, as well as the bright, cheery colors. To make the ombre panel behind the flower, I used a chevron border stamp and Old Olive ink. For the top half of the panel (dark to light), I stamped the image along the top of the Whisper White card stock, re-inked the image and stamped again right below it. (This particular stamp is clear, so it was easy to line up the images, although my first one was still a little off.) For the next section, I stamped the image on scratch paper first and then on the card stock. For the lightest section, I stamped the image twice on scratch paper and then on the card stock. For the bottom half of the panel (light to dark), I just repeated the steps in reverse order. This was the first time I'd tried the technique, and I like the result.

Crumb Cake card with a focal image made from the negative space of a punched flower embellished with strips of washi tape.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Hardwood
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Crumb Cake
Accessories: Fun Flower punch, Beach House washi tape, Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, paper-piercing tool, rhinestones, Dimensionals

This is an easy technique that highlights the negative space created with a punch. Start with a piece of card stock that is the desired size and shape; my Crumb Cake card stock was about 3-1/4"square. Then punch the desired shape(s) out of the card stock and embellish the panel as desired: stamp, emboss, pierce, etc. (You can use the punched-out shapes inside your card or on the envelope to create a coordinating look, or save them for another project.) Cut another piece of card stock that will fit behind the punched-out shape in the main layer (I used a piece of Whisper White that was about 3" square) and cover it with strips of washi tape placed right next to each other. You also could use pieces of ribbon or patterned paper -- it's a great way to use up those little scraps that you just can't throw away. Adhere the piece to your card base (make sure you stamp or emboss the card base first, if desired) and attach the punched layer over it. I used Dimensionals to attach the punched layer to add more depth. Then finish your card as desired. I wanted to keep it simple, so I added three rhinestones in the lower right corner and one in the middle of the flower.

Light gray card with an embossed border, vanilla oval in the center and three light blue flowers.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: It's Your Birthday, Petite Petals
Paper: Going Gray, Soft Sky, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Going Gray
Accessories: Filigree Frame embossing folder, Petite Petals punch, Ovals Collection Framelits dies, Occasions Paper-Piercing Pack, paper-piercing tool, Subtles Candy Dots, pearls, sponge, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

The light gray and blue color palette, combined with the Filigree Frame embossing folder, creates a very soft feel on this card. For the focal point, I cut out a Very Vanilla oval, pierced around the edge and lightly added Going Gray ink with a sponge. I stamped the "Happy Birthday" sentiment and used Glue Dots to add three stamped and punched flowers. I adhered the oval to the middle of the card with Dimensionals and added simple embellishment with a few pearls and Candy Dots.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: