Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Butterfly Basics cards

I was so excited when I saw the Butterfly Basics stamp set and coordinating Butterflies Thinlits dies in the 2015 Occasions catalog from Stampin' Up! I loved them immediately, and they were two of the first things I ordered. Way back in December. Since then I've cut out a few of the butterfly die cuts, but that was about it. Finally this week I pulled out the dies, stamp set, and four ink colors (Early Espresso, Pear Pizzazz, So Saffron and Calypso Coral) and created three cards.

Card featuring butterflies made with watercolor paper, ink refills and the Butterflies Thinlits dies or Bitty Butterfly punch.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Butterfly Basics, Gorgeous Grunge
Paper: Pear Pizzazz card stock, watercolor paper
Ink: Pear Pizzazz pad, Calypso Coral ink refill, So Saffron ink refill, Early Espresso pad and ink refill
Accessories: Butterflies Thinlits dies, Bitty Butterfly punch, pearls

I had an idea about making a watercolor butterfly, and I'm glad it turned out like I imagined. Here are the steps I followed:
Note: This can be a messy technique, so be sure you are working over a sink or an old towel to catch ink drips.
1. Trim a piece of watercolor paper to fit the die.
2. Wet the paper. I used a misting spray bottle, but you could also use a paintbrush and water.
3. Add drops of reinker in the desired color(s) to the paper. The wetter the paper is, the more the ink will spread, so you only need a couple of drops.
4. Gently tilt the paper different directions to spread and blend the colors.
5. When you are satisfied with the colors, set down the paper and place a white paper towel on top to soak up the extra ink and water. (This will lighten the colors a bit; on my paper the Early Espresso ink looked almost black until I removed some of the ink.)
6. Let the paper dry then punch or cut out the desired shapes.

After I cut out the large butterfly die, I used the Bitty Butterfly punch to punch out a few small butterflies from the remaining watercolor paper. I stamped a monotone card base -- I didn't want the background to compete with the colors of the butterflies -- and then adhered the bodies of the butterflies to the card, leaving the wings free. To finish the card I added a few pearls.

The fern image from the Butterfly Basics set is stamped repeatedly to make a frame for three stamped and die-cut butterflies.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Butterfly Basics, Gorgeous Grunge
Paper: Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Early Espresso, Pear Pizzazz, So Saffron, Calypso Coral
Accessories: Butterflies Thinlits dies, burlap ribbon, Subtles Candy Dots, corner rounder, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

For this card I stamped the fern image multiple times around the edges of a Very Vanilla card base to create the look of a frame. It was a little too plain, so I added some speckles using one of the images from the Gorgeous Grunge set. For the focal point I stamped and cut out three lacy butterfly images: one each in So Saffron, Early Espresso and Calypso Coral. I embellished the butterflies with either a Candy Dot or a small bow (made with a strand from a piece of burlap ribbon) and used Dimensionals to adhere them in a column down the middle of the card.

Clean and simple collage-style card using Butterfly Basics and Butterflies Thinlits dies.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Butterfly Basics
Paper: Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Early Espresso, Pear Pizzazz, So Saffron, Calypso Coral
Accessories: Best Year Ever buttons, Bitty Butterfly punch, pearls, linen thread, corner rounder, Dimensionals

This is a basic, clean and simple collage-style card. It's mostly just straightforward stamping, but the one thing I'll point out is that to make the lighter fern image, I applied ink to the rubber stamp, stamped the fern on the left and then stamped the fern on the right without reapplying ink.

I love how easy it was with this stamp set to simply stamp a few images, add a couple of embellishments and end up with a really pretty card. I know that receiving a card like this would definitely make me smile.

I know these stamps and dies will see a lot of use. I also created a little butterfly-themed gift ensemble -- birthday card, tag and gift box -- that I will share later this week.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: