Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ombre silhouettes

For awhile now I've been admiring hand-made cards that feature ombre techniques, which are shaded or graduated tones of a single color. Last week I finally tried the technique myself, creating this masculine birthday card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Pocket Silhouettes, It's Your Birthday
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Pear Pizzazz, Wild Wasabi, Garden Green card stock
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Chocolate Chip taffeta ribbon, Houndstooth embossing folder, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Dimensionals

For my focal layer I chose three shades of green card stock: Pear Pizzazz, Wild Wasabi and Garden Green. I cut a 1-1/2" x 3-1/4" piece of each color and taped them together on the back so they wouldn't move while I was stamping. I used two of the images from the Pocket Silhouettes set and stamped them several times across the top half of the green card stock. To hide the bottom edge of the stamped images, I wrapped a piece of ribbon around the card stock, and then I stamped the sentiment along the bottom of the focal piece. I matted the piece with Chocolate Chip card stock and then used Dimensionals to adhere everything to an embossed Chocolate Chip card base.

This card could be used for any occasion by simply changing the sentiment. You could even make a set of cards with this design and use different colors for the ombre technique. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: