Monday, January 6, 2014

Wacky word bubbles

When I first saw the 2014 Occasions Catalog from Stampin' Up!, I was most excited about the Word Bubbles Framelits dies. I've looked at --and almost bought -- similar dies from other companies, so I was happy that I could finally get them from Stampin' Up! There is also a coordinating stamp set available, called Just Sayin' (and I bought that, too), but I love that you can use the Framelits dies to put any sentiment into a speech or thought bubble. I went to work this weekend using the Word Bubbles Framelits dies with a few of the sentiments in the Yippee-Skippee! stamp set to make a few lighthearted cards.

Card with a stamped and cut-out quaking duck. Speech bubble stamped with "I freakin' love you!"
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Yippee-Skippee!, Storybook Friends
Cardstock: Pool Party, Gumball Green, Real Red, Whisper White
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Guball Green, Crushed Curry, Basic Black marker
Accessories: Word Bubbles Framelits dies, Scallop Edge Border Punch, Owl Builder punch (for the heart), corner rounder, Dimensionals

This duck from the Storybook Friends set has always looked to me as if he were yelling, or maybe quacking very emphatically. He was a perfect candidate for a speech bubble, but what would he be yelling about? I honed in on this "I freakin' love you!" sentiment, and for some reason it seemed perfect. I stamped and colored in the sentiment, die cut it and drew the border around the speech bubble by hand. I'm not exactly sure what it is about this card, but it quacks -- er, cracks -- me up. I think it would be a fun valentine for someone with a quirky sense of humor.
Card with spinning puppy image and "Yippee-skippee!" sentiment.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Yippee-Skippee!, Storybook Friends
Cardstock: Whisper White, Soft Suede, Wild Wasabi
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Soft Suede, Wild Wasabi
Accessories: Word Bubbles Framelits dies, 1-3/4" circle punch, Circles Collection Framelits dies, Word Window punch, Decorative Dots embossing folder, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I've used this puppy and sentiment together before, but they make such a great pair for a children's birthday card that I wanted to try it again. This time, though, I created a spinner card. (For directions on how to make a spinner card, see the "Spinning hamster" post.) I love this excited little puppy spinning head over tail, and it makes the sentiment seem even more appropriate.

Brown card with cupcake and two word bubbles: "Carbs, scharbs!" and "Eat the cake."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Big Bold Birthday, Yippee-Skippee!
Cardstock: Whisper White, Chocolate Chip
Ink: Bermuda Bay, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Word Bubbles Framelits dies, Brights Candy Dots, 1/8" Bermuda Bay taffeta ribbon, Simply Scored Tool, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

For this clean and simple birthday card, I decided to split the sentiment into two speech bubbles. For the first part of the sentiment, I wanted to flip the word bubble, so I die cut the shape, flipped it over and used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to stamp "Carbs, schmarbs!" in the center. For the second word bubble, I stamped "Eat the cake" on the cardstock first and then cut it out. I wanted to shorten the length of that word bubble, so I placed the right edge of the Framelits die closer to the words, ran it through the Big Shot and then hand trimmed the left edge, using a scrap die-cut shape as a guide to get the corners even. Then, of course, I needed to add some cake, so I stamped and cut out a simple cupcake and used a few Candy Dots as sprinkles.

I still have a few other ideas for these Word Bubbles Framelits dies, and I hope I'll have a chance to try them out soon. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: