Monday, January 13, 2014

Simply Scrappin' Kit cards

If you're anything like me, you have a hard time passing by a scrapbooking or cardmaking kit. It's so nice to have several coordinating products gathered together and ready to go. Of course once you buy a kit there's the small matter of actually creating something so it doesn't just sit around collecting dust. I have several old Simply Scrappin' Kits from Stampin' Up! that have been doing just that, so I decided to use one of the kits to create two card sets.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Cardstock: Whisper White (for inside the cards)
Accessories: Bandstand Simply Scrappin' Kit, Whisper White baker's twine, Cherry Cobbler baker's twine, rhinestones, Candy Dots - Subtles, clear buttons, Designer Buttons - Playground, Pansy punch, small heart punch, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Envelope Punch Board, cellophane bag, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

The cards are 3" x 4", so they are perfect to tuck in a gift bag or basket or to leave a little note on a desk or in a backpack or lunch bag. I made two of each card pictured and eight of each envelope and divided them into two sets of cards.

This Simply Scrappin' Kit  kit included eight sheets of 12" x 12" cardstock (two sheets each of Old Olive, Pool Party, Cherry Cobbler and So Saffron), six 12" x 12" sheets of Designer Series Paper (DSP; three sheets each of two double-sided prints) and six 6" x 12" sheets of heavyweight stickers (two sheets each of three different designs). To make the cards and envelopes I used one sheet of each color cardstock, two sheets of each style of DSP and about half the stickers.

From each piece of cardstock I cut four 4" x 6" pieces for the cards; that left one 6" x 8" piece of each color to use for punching shapes and making bag toppers (see below). I decorated the cards with primarily the stickers, but I added a few embellishments, including buttons, baker's twine and rhinestones. The only cardstock I used that wasn't included in the kit was a piece of Whisper White layered inside each card.

For the envelopes I cut each piece of DSP into four 6" x 6" pieces (sixteen pieces total), and I used the Envelope Punch Board to make each piece into an envelope. On the front of each envelope I added a label from the sticker sheets so there was a space to write the recipient's name. Since the cards are too small to be mailed, I didn't worry about adding any kind of closure to the flaps.

To package each card set, I placed the eight cards and envelopes in a 6" x 8" cellophane bag. (I arranged them so the envelopes are in the middle and half the cards are on either side of the envelopes. That way you can see a pretty card in the front and the back of the bag.) I trimmed a couple of inches off the top of the bag and then placed a piece of folded cardstock over the top. I stapled the topper closed and used a few stickers to cover the staples and embellish the topper.

That's two card sets done and ready to give. And I still have kit materials left: one sheet of each color cardstock, two sheets of DSP and plenty of stickers -- enough to make one more set of cards like these or a few larger A2 cards. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: