Friday, January 10, 2014

Word bubbles and washi tape

I'm back today with a few more word-bubble cards, this time combined with washi tape.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Just Sayin'
Paper: Whisper White, So Saffron cardstock; champagne glimmer paper
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar
Accessories: Word Bubbles Framelits dies, Retro Fresh washi tape, Bird Builder punch, Merry Minis punch pack, corner rounder, Whisper White baker's twine, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

When I sat down to make this card I knew I wanted to use the "You're how old?" sentiment from the Just Sayin' set with a collection of birthday candles. The Retro Fresh striped washi tape was perfect for the candles, so I adhered six strips of different lengths along the front of a Whisper White card base. For the candle flames, I punched the wing shape from the Bird Builder punch out of So Saffron cardstock, and to add a little sparkle I used the ornament punch from the Merry Minis punch pack with champagne glimmer paper. I trimmed off the tops of the ornaments and adhered them in the middle of the So Saffron shapes. I wrapped a piece of baker's twine around the card front and used Dimensionals to adhere the die-cut sentiment over the knot in the twine. I really liked how this card turned out, so I decided to a similar kid's birthday card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Happiest Birthday Wishes
Paper: Whisper White, Daffodil Delight cardstock; silver glimmer paper
Ink: Tempting Turquoise
Accessories: Word Bubbles Framelits dies, Ditto Dots washi tape (Doodlebug Design Inc.), Bird Builder punch, Merry Minis punch pack, 1/8" silver ribbon, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

For this version I changed the washi tape and then switched the colors of the flames to better coordinate with the candles. I stamped the sentiment on Whisper White cardstock and cut it out with one of the Word Bubbles Framelits dies. Then I trimmed off the "tail" of the die-cut and used Dimensionals to adhere it over the ribbon.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Just Sayin'
Cardstock: Whisper White, Real Red, Basic Black, Bermuda Bay, Pool Party
Ink: Jet Black StazOn
Accessories: Owls washi tape (Sandy Lion), Word Bubbles Framelits dies, Owl Builder punch, 2-1/2" circle punch, corner rounder, 1/8" Bermuda Bay taffeta ribbon, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

The starting point for this card was the washi tape, which I received way back in October as a birthday gift but hadn't used yet. I chose a couple of coordinating colors -- Bermuda Bay and Pool Party -- to make the punched owl and then adhered him to a Basic Black circle on a layer of Whisper White cardstock. I stamped and die-cut a sentiment from the Just Sayin' set and then cut out a second word bubble from Bermuda Bay to use as shadow. The completed panel is adhered to a Real Red card base. I'm not completely satisfied with this layout, but overall I think it's a cute card.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: