Sunday, December 8, 2013

Decorated notepad

I know a lot of people today put all their notes on a phone or keep their calendars on a computer. But I'm not one of those people; I have always preferred writing on paper. So I was excited to see this challenge for the December Creative Crew: Make a calendar, to-do list, booklet or journal for a friend to use in 2014.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! except "Other"):
Stamps: Hello, Lovely
Paper: Basic Gray cardstock, This and That Epic Day Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Jet Black StazOn
Accessories: Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim, This and That Epic Day Designer Stickers, This and That Epic Day washi tape, This and That Epic Day Journal (for the envelope), metal clip
Other: 4" x 6" notepad

I started with a 4" x 6" unlined notepad. To make the cover I cut a piece of Basic Gray cardstock to 8-1/2" x 4". I measured and then scored the cardstock to fit around the top of the notepad and adhered the "extra" cardstock (about 2-1/4") to the chipboard on the back of the pad.

As much as I love using Dimensionals when I make projects, I knew I needed to keep the decoration on the notepad flat so embellishments wouldn't get pulled off in a bag or purse. I used a piece of This and That Epic Day DSP on the background -- the ledger-type sheet was perfect for this project. I added a few strips of washi tape and some of the stickers I had leftover from my This and That journal -- a very quick and easy way to embellish a project. I stamped a few arrows and slipped a flat metal clip on the right edge of the cover. To keep the notepad closed, I tied a piece of Coastal Cabana stretch trim in a loop and slipped it around the pad.

Since the outside of the notepad turned out pretty cute (at least in my opinion), I also wanted to add a little something inside. I found a Calypso Coral envelope that I hadn't used in my This and That journal, and it was the perfect size for inside the front cover. I used a little bit of repositionable adhesive to hold it in place and also slipped it under the clip to make it a little more secure. (I could have used a permanent adhesive, but this way the recipient can reuse the envelope when the notepad is empty.) Now there is a place to tuck receipts, coupons, ticket stubs, fortune cookie sayings, and other little bits and pieces. (In this picture you can also see the loop of stretch trim taken off the notepad.)

This notepad would make a fun stocking stuffer or a great teacher or coworker gift. If I can find the time, I may just have to make a few more of these notepads for Christmas. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: