Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Convention projects: Part 2

Yesterday I posted the first two of my (finally) completed make-and-take projects from the 2013 Stampin' Up! Convention. Today I'm going to share the last two, both of which are cute ways to package little gifts or treats.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge, Occasions
Paper: Bermuda Bay, Calypso Coral, Coastal Cabana, Whisper White cardstock; In Color Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack - Crisp Cantaloupe
Ink: Coastal Cabana, Bermuda Bay
Accessories: Tag a Bag gift box, 2-3/8" scalloped circle punch, Pansy punch, 7/8" scalloped circle punch, 1-3/8" circle punch, Banner punch, Summer Starfruit stitched satin ribbon, linen thread, large pearls, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

Of all four projects, this was probably the one I changed the most. The project instructions said to use the Coastal Cabana and Calypso Coral cardstock and Crisp Cantaloupe DSP to create feather shapes to embellish the gift box. I haven't really jumped on board the feather bandwagon, so I created a flower embellishment instead. For the base of the flower I punched a 2-3/8" scallop circle out of Calypso Coral cardstock, snipped between the scallops to create petals, and carefully scrunched then re-opened the flower to add some texture and dimension. The next layers are two Pansy shapes punched from the DSP. I flipped one of the flowers over and staggered the placement of the petals, so you can see both of the patterns on the paper. I left the bottom pansy flat, but I curled up the petals on the top pansy just a bit. The middle of the flower is a 7/8" Coastal Cabana scalloped circle and a large pearl.

I had some trouble with the Summer Starfruit ribbon that goes around the box, so I ended up just tying it in a knot, cutting off the ends, making two separate loops and then adhering the loops to the plastic cover underneath the knot. To adhere the flower to the plastic I stacked Dimensionals four high on either side of the knot and then placed the flower on the Dimensionals. To make the tag, I stamped the "Four You" image from the Occasions set (the stamps that are included with the Everyday Occasions Cardmaking kit), punched it out and used linen thread to tie it to the ribbon.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tag It
Ink: Calypso Coral, Coastal Cabana
Accessories: Tag a Bag gift bag, Tag a Bag Accessory Kit, Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim

For this project I only made one change from the instructions: instead of using the suggested "It's your day" birthday image, I used "I dig you!" I figured this way I could use the bag for Valentine's Day or to give someone a little "just because" treat. The baker's twine, mini clothespin and layered tag pieces are all included with the Tag a Bag Accessory Kit, so you can mix and match different colors.

Creating a flat bottom on the gift bag is pretty easy to do. I didn't take pictures, though, so I'll try to explain it as simply as I can. First score each side of the bag vertically at 1" and then horizontally 1-1/4" from the bottom. Cut along the two vertical score lines from the bottom of the bag just up to the horizontal score line; you will then have three flaps on the bottom of the bag.

Cut open the fold along the bottom of the bag so you can work the bag into the rectangular shape. The folded edges that were originally the sides of the bag are pushed in, and the score lines you made become the left and right sides of the bag. (It will make sense as you're doing it. This was the trickiest part for me and made me wish I had one more hand.) Then fold in the flaps on the bottom and adhere them together. These would be really cute for little favors at a birthday party or shower.

Thanks for stopping by -- and have a safe, happy New Year's celebration!

No comments: