Friday, August 3, 2012

Barrettes for a birthday

Over the past year I have been making a set of ribbon barrettes for my cousins' daughters on their birthdays. Tomorrow, one of these cousins-once-removed (yes, I had to look that up to make sure I had it right) is turning one year old. So my task this afternoon was to make her set of barrettes.

Supplies (all ribbon and accessories from Stampin' Up!®):
Ribbon: Soft Sky stitched ribbon, Wisteria Wonder ruffled ribbon, Gumball Green stitched satin ribbon, Jersey Ribbon Originals
Other accessories: Flower Fusion Too, Neutrals brads, Pretty in Pink corduroy brads, Accents & Elements Fleurettes, Brights button, white crochet thread
Other tools: Single-pronged curl clips, glue gun, wire strips

These barrettes are very easy to make (see the link above for step-by-step instructions and photos); the hardest part is always deciding how to embellish them because the possibilities are almost endless. I gravitate toward flowers, but I like the look of the buttons and large brads, too. Here is one tip for using brads, such as the pink corduroy brads in the photo: If the prongs of a brad are longer than the brad itself, you can use wire snips to cut off the prongs before gluing the brad onto the barrette. If you just fold the prongs down, they may be visible underneath the brad.

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: