Saturday, August 11, 2012

Have you sent a card today?

Last week I was off work for our summer vacation. I'd been looking forward to it since the spring and was planning to relax, read, maybe go to Minnehaha Falls and just enjoy myself. Did I get to do any of those things? Um, no. I went to a funeral on Monday and then spent most of the rest of the week in my apartment cleaning, sorting and packing for our move. Sigh.

For two of those days I was parked on the floor in the living room watching the Olympics and looking through all -- and I mean all -- of the cards and letters I've saved over the years. Birthday cards, Christmas cards, valentines, Halloween cards, long letters and little notes. The list goes on. I think I had about thirteen shoeboxes going back to 1996, but I have a feeling that there are more hiding somewhere. I didn't reread all the letters (that would have taken a week by itself), but it was fun to look back through those memories. I ended up saving all the letters, a few of the store-bought cards and all the handmade cards (except a couple that were falling apart) condensed down to one shoebox and five small plastic bins.

I don't know if anyone else is as obsessive as I am about saving correspondence (I'm going to try to be better!), but there's just something about holding those cards and knowing that someone was thinking about you. I was reminded how finding a simple card or a quick note in the mail can brighten someone's day. It doesn't have to be a handmade card (although those are extra special!) or a long letter. Something that seems very small to you can mean a whole lot to someone else.

I need to do a better job of sending all the cards I make -- Heaven knows I have enough of them! I do pretty well getting birthday cards mailed, and I always send Christmas cards. Occasionally I'll mail cards for other holidays, such as Halloween or Easter, but I don't very often send cards just to say "hi" to someone. So I think I'm going to try to send at least one card per week; I could easily do more, but I'll start with a manageable goal. And I challenge you to do the same: Once a week, write a card or note and drop it in the mailbox, tuck it in a backpack or briefcase, or leave it on a desk. Let someone you care about know that you are thinking of them.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: