Sunday, September 25, 2011

Halloween tags

Yesterday I went to the Rubber Stamp and Scrapbook Expo with my friend Lisa. We look forward to the event every spring and fall, and as usual, we had a great time finding fun new stamping supplies and "oohing" and "aahing" over the stamps and adorable and artistic sample cards.

As we wandered around, I was especially focused on Halloween stamps. I don't really need any Halloween stamps; I have several sets already, and it's not as if I use them more than once a year. But I just think Halloween stamps are so darn cute. (Well not the realistic, creepier-looking ones, but I don't tend to gravitate toward those anyway.) I was a little indecisive about what I wanted to buy (shocking!), but I finally made up my mind and put some of my new stamps to work today:

Supplies:
Stamps: Too Cute to Spook, Best Witches (Unity Stamp Co.)
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, markers (Stampin' Up!®): Rich Razzleberry, Lovely Lilac, Green Galore, Gable Green, Only Orange, Crushed Curry, Blush Blossom
Accessories: White tags (Fiddlers Creek), black rhinestones (EK Success), Dazzling Details (Stampin' Up!), google eyes (Inkadinkado), various fibers and ribbons (Stampin' Up!, EK Success, On the Surface, American Crafts), Crystal Effects (Stampin' Up!)

I'm planning to use these tags for the little Halloween gifts I bought for the toddlers in my class at work (three boys and one girl). I'll just add a "to/from" at the top of the tags and tie them on their gift bags. Simple and sweet. I know they're too young to really appreciate hand-made things, but I still like to make them. I hope the parents think they're cute!

After I stamped and colored the little monsters, I added a black rhinestone on each of their bow ties and Crystal Effects on the lollipops to create a little shine (it's hard to see in the photos). I also doodled a border around each tag using the same color marker as the monster's boots. The tassels are made with five or six pieces of various ribbons and fibers that are tied together with a black fiber.

I was going to be done at that point, but I decided to try out the google eyes, too. I'm glad I thought of it, because they're perfect! I did make each of the monster tags a little different by using different color combos and different ribbons and fibers.

For the witch tag, I did my stamping and coloring and then added Dazzling Details glitter glue to the heart on her dress and the buckles on her hat and shoes. I also outlined the tag with Dazzling Details and added a few black rhinestones along the bottom of the tag. A girl's gotta have a little sparkle!

These tags were fun to make, and they would be really easy to use as the focal point on a card. In fact I made a Halloween card today using a black tag with a pumpkin on it as the focal point. I'll share that card and a few others in my post tomorrow.




Until then, thanks for stopping by!

No comments: