Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A cast of characters


I'm kind of a nerd. Always have been, always will be. When I was a kid I used to give my dad a notebook and ask him to make up math problems for me to solve. For fun. Seriously. Well, sadly I don't do too many math problems anymore (unless they're part of the number puzzles in the puzzle books I like to work on), but I have taken to expressing my nerdiness by building with Legos.

On Saturday I put together my Lego Creator Cabin set and added all the minifigures I've been collecting. Look, here they are! (The cabin opens, and there are a few more minifigures inside.)

Once that was done I decided I needed to name the characters and create a little back story for each of them. Later on I may even create some sort of Lego drama and write episodes complete with pictures of the minifigures acting out the story lines. But I'm getting ahead of myself. First the introductions (from left to right in each picture):

Kiki, surfer girl, travels from island to island in search of the perfect wave -- and a cure for her fear of crustaceans.

The three gnome triplets, Harry, Larry and Perry, were the gardeners on the estate of a famous celebrity until they were caught blabbing to the tabloids.

Hank built an air-conditioned dome over the pond in his backyard so he can go ice fishing all year.

Riordan is a Guinness-loving poet who hopes to win a Nobel prize in limerick writing.

Samson is working toward his life-long goal of back-packing in every state in alphabetical order. So far he's finished Alabama.

Joe (peeking through the cabin window) is a CIA agent working undercover as a sailor.

Francois studied art under the masters in Paris, France, and has two paintings hanging in the Louvre.

Frank studied art under the masters in Paris, Texas, and has two paintings hanging in the 'Loo, a truck-stop diner along US Highway 271.

Chip (in the background) quit law school to go to clown college. He graduated with honors and now works as a freelance entertainer.

Charlie grew up as part of a traveling circus. He may be able to tame a lion, but he's terrified of spiders.

Paul, a distant grandson of Paul Bunyan, is starting a lumberjack fashion line called Woodz.

Breck is a high school JV soccer coach. He likes to talk in rhyme -- if he has time.

Sherrie ends each of her workout sessions with a few good high kicks to "Girls Just Wanna' Have Fun."







Leif is a die-hard Vikings fan and wants to audition to be the next Ragnar. Until then he's a mall cop.

Johnny retired from the Green Army and became a professional shepherd. Who needs a dog when you've got a jeep?

Skyler is a prep school kid with wicked skateboard skills. He's broken each of his limbs. Twice.

Marty was a crop duster for forty years. Now he's afraid of standing on the ground.

(Inside the cabin)
Wolfgang carries around that bone to protect his rep, but he's really the world's only vegan werewolf.

Monty is a pediatric nurse, but he can't get a job because his communication skills are lacking and he scares the patients. He's a little bitter.

Isabella is working on landing the first quintuple axel. Unfortunately that's all she talks about.

Leo, the Lizard Man (looking out the door), is founder, president, treasurer and secretary of the organization Society for Lizard-Mammal Equality (SLiME).



Well, there you have it. That's my cast of characters (for now). This took me a lot longer to create than I thought it would, so at this rate I'm not sure how many episodes I'll be able to write. But I do have a couple of ideas brewing.

1 comment:

mickey said...

You forgot to mention that Riordan and Samson are eating tofurky ;-)