Friday, September 30, 2011

Snowbuddy to the rescue

I'm a little off today. First I left work this afternoon and forgot my key card. In four years I've never left my key card at work. Luckily I realized right away and went back to get it. (I would have been seriously bummed when I got to work at 6:30 Monday morning and couldn't get in.) Then I was looking at a bus schedule and read the Saturday times instead of weekday times. I went to the bank to deposit a few checks and get some cash, and I couldn't remember my PIN. I remembered which numbers are in it, but I couldn't get them in the right order. I tried three or four times. The teller finally took pity on me and said she could just look at my ID. Sigh.

There are a few other examples, but basically all this leads me to believe that I shouldn't do any crafting today. I don't think I trust myself. I'd probably make my cards upside-down (which I've done before) or spill glitter all over the floor or cut my finger or experience some other unfortunate incident. For my own safety and/or sanity I decided I should share a card I'd already made. So this little snowbuddy came to my rescue:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Snow Much Fun
Card stock: Whisper White, Pool Party, Lucky Limeade
Ink: Jet Black StazOn®, Pool Party; markers: Basic Gray, Pool Party, Peach Parfait, Lucky Limeade
Accessories: Basic Gray satin ribbon, 5/16" neutrals brads, corner rounder, 3/4" circle punch, Lace Ribbon Border punch, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Dimensionals, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig

The "snowflakes" on this card are actually the inside of the Lace Ribbon Border punch. You could also use the shape as flowers. To make them, I punched a strip of white card stock and then cut the flakes apart. I backed them with the blue circles so I could close the brads without seeing the prongs.

I think this little snowman is adorable, and I love the images in this stamp set. However, I have a little grammatical gripe about the greeting: "Snowbuddy likes you as much as me!" Now, I don't mind the pun. What nags at me a little is that it should read "Snowbuddy likes you as much as I do!" The way it reads now, it's like you're telling the recipient, "Hey, everyone likes me better than they like you." Of course I know that's not the intended meaning, and I'm sure if I sent this card to someone, they wouldn't be offended or probably even notice it. But it still bugs me. I can't help it; it's the English major in me. I know I don't write or speak perfectly all the time (where's the fun in that?), but there are just certain things that are like fingers on a chalkboard to me -- misspelled words or unnecessary apostrophes, for example (when you make a word plural, you don't add an apostrophe!).

Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to let this one go. Or if I ever feel particularly mean, I could edit the greeting by just stamping "Snowbuddy likes you" and then make cards for some of those not-so-special people (insert evil laugh). OK, maybe not, but the thought makes me smile just a little ...

No comments: