Saturday, October 19, 2019

Evening silhouettes

A few months ago, I shared several cards I made with a watercolor wash sunset background and stamped wildflower silhouettes. I really enjoyed making those cards, so I decided to build on that theme with an evening sky and die-cut silhouettes.

Supplies:
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!); watercolor paper (Strathmore)
Ink: Crumb Cake (Stampin' Up!); Gansai Tambi watercolor paints - 66 Prussian Blue, 91 Bluish Gold (Kuretake)
Accessories: Wildflower Thinlits dies (Sizzix - Tim Holtz), black hemp twine (Stampin' Up!), gold sequins (Craft Medley), foam tape (3M), black foam square (Gina K Designs), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

For all of the cards in this post, I started by cutting panels of watercolor paper and using one shade of blue watercolor paint to make a wash on each panel. I kept the color darker at the top of the panels and added more water to make it lighter at the bottom. When the blue was dry, I splattered gold watercolor paint across the panels to create the look of stars in the sky.

For this card set, I cut six Crumb Cake card bases. I used a splatter-type stamp and Crumb Cake ink to add some texture and visual interest in the upper left and lower right corners of each card base. I wrapped black hemp twine around the front of each card and tied it off on the front of the card.

Using foam tape I adhered a watercolor panel to the front of each card, covering the knot in the twine. I die cut several wildflower silhouettes from black card stock and mixed and matched them until I had six groupings I liked. I placed black foam squares behind the larger parts of the die cuts and liquid glue on the thin stems and then adhered the wildflowers to the watercolor panels, letting some of the stems overhang the watercolor panels. TO finish off the card set, I added three gold sequins on each card.

Supplies:
Stamps: Tree Rings (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!); watercolor paper (Strathmore)
Ink: Crumb Cake (Stampin Up!); Gansai Tambi watercolors - 66 Prussian Blue, 91 Bluish Gold (Kuretake)
Accessories: Wildflowers Thinlits dies (Sizzix - Tim Holtz), mini sewing machine (Provo Craft), foam tape (3M), gold sequins (Craft Medley), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

After making the card set I still had a couple of panels left, so I made two individual cards using the same basic layout but with a few changes. For this card, I used a mini sewing machine to add black stitching around the edges of the watercolor wash. I continued the nature theme by using the Tree Rings stamp on the card base. I left off the black twine but kept the gold sequins.

Supplies:
Paper: Blueberry Bushel card stock, gold foil sheets (Stampin' Up!); watercolor paper (Strathmore)
Ink: Gansai Tambi watercolors - 66 Prussian Blue, 91 Bluish Gold (Kuretake)
Accessories: Clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), Wildflowers Thinlits dies (Sizzix - Tim Holtz), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

For this last card I decided to switch up the colors. I used a Blueberry Bushel card base instead of Crumb Cake and gold foil silhouettes instead of black. With the extra gold of the die cuts, I switched the embellishments to clear droplets instead of gold sequins.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Oh my gosh!! I just love these cards! I love the dark silhouette of the flowers on the gorjuss water coloured background! I have to try this technique because your cards always look so awesome:-) While they are all gorjuss, I think I prefer the black silhouettes to the gold one. However I imagine the gold one is very shiny in real life! These cards have the "wow" factor for me! You have done an awesome job Andrea!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.vom

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I like the black silhouettes better, too, but with the blue card base I needed something a little lighter, so I tired the gold. I'm glad you like the cards!