Friday, October 18, 2019

Mail call

I love sending and receiving mail. I know it's not as common in these days of texts and emails and other electronic communication, but it's just so fun to find a little surprise amidst all the bills and advertisements in my mailbox. And while people complain about the price of stamps, it's always amazed me that for 55 cents, a letter or card can travel across the country in just a few days. Think of all the hands, machines, trucks and planes that card might pass through before it reaches its destination. It's not a perfect system, of course, but I still think it's pretty cool.

So what could be better than receiving a card in the mail? How about a getting mail-themed card?

Supplies:
Stamps: Mail Jumble Background, Mini Messages (Hero Arts); Cute Converse (Stampin' Up!); Three Amigos (Mama Elephant)
Paper: Crumb Cake card stock (Stampin' Up!), 120-lb white card stock (Purely Simple Paper)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, VersaFine Onyx black (Tsukineko); Real Red (Stampin' Up!); Signo white gel pen (Uni-ball)
Accessories: Peek-A-Boo Doors Fancy die (Hero Arts)

I love this Mail Jumble Background stamp. And combined with the coordinating Peek-A-Boo Doors Fancy die, it makes a cute and easy interactive card. (Bonus: The die also coordinates with a few other Hero Arts stamps, so you can get more bang for your buck.)

To make this card, I stamped the background image on a piece of Crumb Cake card stock using black ink. Then I lined up the die and ran it through my die-cutting machine to create the flaps. I opened the flaps and adhered the panel to a white card base. Then I searched through my stamps to find some tiny sentiments to stamp inside the "letters." I tried to stamp each sentiment in the same orientation as its envelope on the front, so they face different directions:


I wanted to add a little more detail to the front of the card, so I used a white gel pen to color little details on some of the envelopes.

I haven't tried it, but if you wanted to send this card without the flaps pre-opened, I think you could make a template. Use the die with a scrap piece of card stock and carefully cut off the flaps. Align the template over your card base (maybe with a little temporary adhesive), stamp the sentiments or images in the openings, and remove the template. Then stamp the Mail Jumble image on the card stock you want on the front of your card, cut it out with the die, and adhere it to your card base. Just make sure the panel is oriented the right way, so the flaps line up with your stamped sentiments -- and don't put any adhesive on the flaps!

You can also use the Mail Jumble Background stamp without the coordinating die:

Supplies:
Stamps: Mail Jumble Background (Hero Arts)
Paper: 120-lb white card stock (Purely Simple Paper), Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Smoky Slate, Lemon Lime Twist (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Hello die (Gina K Designs); Tutti-Frutti adhesive-backed sequins, Tutti-Frutti washi tape (Stampin' Up!); Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

For this quick and easy card, I stamped the background image on a white card base using Smoky Slate ink. With a Lemon Lime Twist marker, I colored in some details on the envelopes, adding little pops of color.

I adhered a piece of Lemon Lime Twist washi tape diagonally across the card front (a strip of card stock or piece of ribbon would work, too). Then I die cut the word "hello" a few times from black card stock, glued them together, and adhered them over the washi tape. For a finishing touch I added three Lemon Lime Twist sequins. This design would be great for an easy-to-make card set -- just change the accent color for each card in the set. You could change the die-cut sentiment, too, but I really like "hello" with all of the envelopes.

Thanks for stopping by today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh - I love those cards! (and the stamp and die!).
And I totally agree with you about the postal service - it's a bargain.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! :)

Sunshine. said...

These are so cute Andrea!! I am not sure which one I like best! What a fun idea to have all the envelopes open up with a tiny message inside! So much fun making them too! Awesome!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com