Wednesday, October 30, 2019

October Christmas card: Retro sparkles

Last weekend was my annual craft weekend with my friend Lisa. (Although I think we've decided we need a weekend in the summer, too!) It was so much fun to make whatever cards I wanted without a to-do list. Well, almost no to-do list. I did have one project that I needed to tackle: October Christmas cards.

Supplies:
Stamps: October 2019 My Monthly Hero kit (Hero Arts)
Paper: Whisper White note cards and envelopes, Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko), Sea Glass (Gina K Designs), PC992 colored pencil and blender pencil (Prismascolor), embossing ink (Hero Arts)
Accessories: Sparkle Silk (Fun Stampers Journey), Aqua Tinsel embossing powder (Ranger), foam tape (3M)

I was really excited to use the stamps and dies from my October My Monthly Hero kit from Hero Arts. The set includes a variety of fun images and sentiments that you can combine to make all kinds of retro holiday scenes. But since I was making several of this card design, I decided to keep it clean and simple with just a couple of the images.

I knew I wanted to use the turntable image with the "Rockin' around the Christmas tree" sentiment, so I just added in the tree to complete this little scene. I stamped the sentiment on a white note card and the images on white card stock. I added colored accents to the images with an aqua pencil and then die cut them.

I used aqua as my accent color because I wanted to try out my new Aqua Tinsel embossing powder. It's a perfect ocean-y, tropical blue with glitter mixed right in. I chose a cluster of starry images, stamped them around the tree (I set the die-cut images on the card base, without adhering them, to get the correct placement) and then embossed them with the embossing powder to add some sparkle.


But that wasn't enough sparkle! :) I used my Sparkle Silk (which comes in a nail polish-style bottle) to flick sparkles all over the card base. Then I used the brush to carefully dab a bit on some of the ornaments on the tree. With the cards appropriately sparkled, I just used foam tape to add the die-cut images to the card.

Well that's ten months of Christmas cards done. I'm not sure if I'll make any in November; I need to count up what I have and start making my card list. How are your Christmas cards coming along?

Thanks for stopping by!



4 comments:

Sapphire-Rose said...

These are so pretty Andrea! I love the qua blue colour! I also love that Sparkle Silk stuff as well! I can see you and Lisa had fun making cards!
I love the clean and simple look, well done!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That's a great design! The aqua/teal color and the star clusters have a bit of '50s vibe, goes perfectly with the vintage record player. Such a fun and happy card!
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! We had a great weekend! (I was so sad when it was over.)

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I wasn't sure how these images would look with just a little bit of coloring - and all in one color - but I think it works.