Thursday, October 24, 2019

Koi pond

I've got a short post tonight with just one card. But it's a card I love -- it looks like a little koi pond.

Supplies:
Stamps: Koi Pond, Waves (Local King Rubber Stamp)
Paper: Baja Breeze, Basic Black, Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Baja Breeze, Crushed Curry, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Koi Pond dies (Local King Rubber Stamp), clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush (ZIG), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

I think this card looks more complicated than it actually is. It's really just stamping, die cutting and layering.

The Waves background is stamped on Baja Breeze card stock with Baja Breeze ink (one of my favorite retired Stampin' Up! colors). I layered that on Basick Black card stock and then adhered the panel to a Baja Breeze card base.

For the other stamped elements, I used markers to color ink directly on the stamps and create the multicolored effect. The best part was making the koi. For each fish I inked the whole stamp with Pumpkin Pie ink. Then I randomly scribbled on patches of black and stamped the image. I learned that technique at a stamp show when I bought this set. I never would have thought it would work, but it's perfect - and so easy!

I die cut the stamped images and adhered them to the card base, using Dimensionals to pop up the lily pads so it looks like the koi are swimming under them. I added some Wink of Stella glitter to the flowers (though you can't see it in this photo), and a few clear droplets are the perfect embellishment for the watery background.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What a cool card Andrea! I love how you popped up the waterlilies so it looks like the Koi are swimming under the lily pads! Love the technique you used to colour the Koi, it has worked perfectly! Awesome card!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I opened the post and thought right away "That looks like it would be a lot of work." And then read the first line that explains it really isn't! :-) It's fun when a card has a real WOW factor but is not overly complicated to create.
Neat technique for the fish. And the clear droplets are a great finishing touch.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I was so happy with how those little fish turned out!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! It was a little tricky getting the lily pad dies lined up with the stamped images, since it was the first time I'd used them. But technique-wise it wasn't too hard. I think clear droplets are my favorite embellishment with water-type images. :)