Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Variations on a sunset theme

When I shared the cards I made for the card contest at the stamp show last month I mentioned that I made several versions of the first card. Here are the rest of those sunset silhouettes:

Supplies:
Stamps: 3201 Organic Set (Rubbernecker Stamps)
Paper: Watercolor paper (Somerset Velvet), Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); Gansai Tambi watercolor paints - 31 Cadmium Scarlet, 33 Cadmium Orange, 63 Cerulean Blue, 67 Indigo (Kuretake)
Accessories: Sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), clear embossing powder (Stampamania), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)


This card is almost identical to the one I submitted for the contest, so I wasn't sure if I should even post it. But I think it's neat to see the variations in the background colors, even though I used the same paint colors. The sequins also give a little different feel from the clear droplets in the first card. Since the sequins have a little sparkle, they make me think of stars twinkling in the sky.

Supplies:
Stamps: 3201 Organic set (Rubbernecker Stamps); Twinkle, Twinkle Background (Taylored Expressions); The Shape of Things (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Blueberry Bushel card stock (Stampin' Up!), watercolor paper (Somerset Velvet)
Ink: Blueberry Bushel (Stampin' Up!); Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); Colorburst powders - Cadmium Scarlet, Alizarin Crimson, Orange, Marigold, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Violet (Ken Oliver Crafts)
Accessories: Clear embossing powder (Stampamania), white/silver twine (Stampin' Up!), Ice White Pearl Pen (Viva Decor), foam tape (3M)

Speaking of twinkling stars, I decided to stamp a starry night sky background for this sunset card. I also added a few tiny white dots to the background with a pearl pen.

For this card and the last two I used a different technique to make the sunset panel. I placed several different colors of Colorburst powder in a pallet and added a few drops of water to each color. I painted the colors on a solid rectangle-shaped rubber stamp, spritzed the stamp with water, and then stamped it onto watercolor paper. It's a little harder to control how the paints mix with this method, but it's fun to pick up the stamp and see the results.

Once the "sunset" was dry I stamped and embossed the silhouette image and the sentiment. To finish the card I wrapped silver and white twine around the card front and tied it in a bow. I used foam tape to attach the watercolor panel over the twine.

Supplies:
Stamps: 3201 Organic set (Rubbernecker Stamps), The Shape of Things (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Blueberry Bushel, Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!); watercolor paper (Somerset Velvet)
Ink: VersaMark (Tsukineko); Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); Colorburst powders - Cadmium Scarlet, Alizarin Crimson, Orange, Marigold, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Violet (Ken Oliver Crafts)
Accessories: Clear embossing powder (Stampamania), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Ice White Pearl Pen (Viva Decor), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)

These last two cards are very similar; I basically just changed out the images and sentiment.

For the background, I used VersaMark to stamp a few of the foliage images from the stamp set all around the edges of the Blueberry Bushel card base and then embossed them with clear embossing powder.

I matted the focal layer with Basic Black card stock to give it a narrow frame and added a few clear sequins for a simple embellishment.
Supplies:
Stamps: 3201 Organic set (Rubbernecker Stamps), The Shape of Things (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Blueberry Bushel, Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!); watercolor paper (Somerset Velvet)
Ink: VersaMark (Tsukineko); Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); Colorburst powders - Cadmium Scarlet, Alizarin Crimson, Orange, Marigold, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Violet (Ken Oliver Crafts)
Accessories: Clear embossing powder (Stampamania), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Ice White Pearl Pen (Viva Decor), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)
And here is the last card. I think the focal image I used on this card (and several of the others) is my favorite of this stamp set; I love the long stems and the combination of flowers and leaves.

I also really like the vibrancy of the Colorburst powders on the watercolor paper. But I do wish the colors had blended together a little bit more instead of leaving the harsh lines. I think I just need a little more practice.

So, what's the verdict? Do you think I should have entered one of these other cards instead of the one I did? (Although honestly, I still don't think I would have won, because the cards that did win were a very different style from mine.)

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Oh wow! You have been busy Andrea! I love those colour burst powder colours! So vibrant and pretty! My fave card out of these is the last one, i really like the colours and the flowers. Oh, and I LOVE the Blueberry Bushel card stock:-) Those clear sparkly sequins remind me of falling stars in the night sky! All the cards are very pretty:-)
Snshine.
I
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! :)