Sunday, August 25, 2019

August Christmas card: Simple and traditional

I sat down to make some cards this morning, and I knew I needed to work on my August Christmas cards. But I wasn't in a very Christmas-y frame of mind, so I decided to keep this batch very clean and simple. Instead of doing a lot of stamping, I focused on the new Toile Tidings Designer Series Paper (DSP), which will be in the 2019 Holiday Catalog from Stampin' Up!

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Season's Greetings
Paper: Toile Tidings DSP; Very Vanilla, Real Red, Garden Green card stock
Ink: Real Red, Garden Green
Accessories: Toile Tidings glitter enamel dots, All-Year Cheer washi tape, Scripty Joy die (Lawn Fawn), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I really try to limit my patterned paper purchases -- I don't use it enough and already have a good stash -- but I love this pack of DSP. There are six monochromatic prints in the pack (two sheets of each print). One side of each piece has the print in Real Red, and the other side has the same print in Garden Green. That meant it was easy to do make the same card design in two colors for a little variety.

For my cards I used two pieces of the DSP: one with scenic holiday images and the other a classic stripe. I cut the piece with the scenes into nine 4" x 4" pieces, and the stripes are 4" x 1-1/2". For each card (five green and four red), I adhered the larger piece of DSP to the striped piece, overlapping the piece by 1/4". I placed a strip of narrow silver washi tape along the seam and wrapped the ends around to the back of the DSP. Then I adhered the panel to a card base of the same color.


To keep the DSP as the focal image, I didn't add a lot of embellishment. I die cut word "joy" three times for each card, glued them together, and then glued the stack to the card front just above the washi tape. I used the Toile Tidings glitter enamel dots to add the dot above the J, and then I added a larger dot in the upper left corner of the card. Inside the card I added a layer of Very Vanilla card stock with a sentiment stamped in coordinating ink.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Wow! I really like that DSP Andrea! What pretty red and green colours:-) Great idea for using the DSP paper, I must use mine more!! It's good to have such pretty papers, I just need to use them more often!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I love all the pretty papers! But when I only use a little bit here and there on a card, one pack lasts a looong time. I should start making coordinating envelope liners or something to use it up faster.