Friday, May 1, 2020

Flower-shaped card set

I managed to get my computer to cooperate with me, at least for the time being, so I'd better get some cards posted while I still can! Here is a fun set of flower-shaped cards that I made one of my cousins for her birthday.

Supplies:
Paper: Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!), Unforgettable Designer Paper Pad (My Mind's Eye)
Ink: Crumb Cake (Stampin' Up!), Iced Americano glitter marker (Nuvo)
Accessories: Floral Frames Collection dies (Stampin' Up!), Stitched Flower Frame dies (Lawn Fawn), wooden flowers (Darice), sponge (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I've made flower-shaped cards before, but it had been awhile, and it was fun to try them again. The specific set of dies I used to create these cards is no longer available from Stampin' Up!, but you can use any large dies to make shaped cards. I just like to make sure that the shape will fit in an A2-sized envelope; the flowers here are about 4" x 4", so they don't "fill" the envelope, but that means there is space to add the leaves. You also may want to consider whether the shape will allow the card to stand up when open. Although the flowers don't have a flat edge, I placed the die so that two of the petals were directly opposite the fold, so the card can balance on the petals.

To make the card bases, first cut and fold a card base that is a bit larger than your die. Avoid using heavy or thick card stock because the die will have to cut through both layers at the same time. With the card base closed, position your die so that a little section hangs past the fold. Run the card base and die through your die cutting machine. Your card base is now shaped, with a flat section at the fold. Use the same die to cut a shape out of patterned paper or another piece of card stock. When you adhere that layer to the front of your card, it will hide the flat section, and your shape will be whole.

For this set of cards, my goal was to finish up a pack of patterned paper, and I came pretty close. I cut the main flower shape and the smaller center flower each out of six different patterns and the leaves out of a dark olive green paper from the pack. I sponged the edges of the flowers and centers with Crumb Cake ink, adhered the layers together and then attached each flower to a card base. To add the leaves, I glued them to the back of the card front.


To add a little embellishment, I used a glitter marker to create a sparkly dotted border around the flowers. The flower centers were too empty, so I glued a small wooden flower in the middle of each card.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I'll admit it's a little bittersweet for me. I was supposed to be on a fun, relaxing, productive craft retreat this weekend. Needless to say, that was cancelled. Instead I picked up shifts at work on some of the days I would have had off. But after I'm done tomorrow (and I only work until noon - yay!), I have three days off! I'm planning to spend as much time as I possibly can making cards - I have to finish a big bunch of cards that I will be donating, and then I need to make lots of birthday cards to give as gifts and to replenish my stash. I just hope I can keep the creative juices flowing!

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool cards! Thank you for the clear photos and instructions to make these, much appreciated. And...looks like you conquered the tech issues too. Yay! Hope work goes quickly and that you'll enjoy the time off - sorry it's not at a craft retreat.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Love these, Andrea! I might have to try some since they seem pretty easy. Am I correct in understanding that there is DSP only on the front of the card? I hope you have gotten a lot of cards made this weekend!! :)
Faith

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! A couple of years ago I posted a balloon-shaped card if you want to see another example. Just type "balloon-shaped card" into the search bar near the top of the page.

Andrea said...

Thank, Faith! They are easy to make, and it's fun to try different embellishments. And yes, there is DSP only on the front - the back is plain card stock, just like a "regular" card. Hope you are doing well!

Sunshine. said...

Great cards Andrea! Love all the different colours! A good way to use up your DSP!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com