Tuesday, May 12, 2020

One wildflower card, then a set

When I make a set of cards, I like to have one element in the design I can change -- such as a pop of color or a sentiment -- while leaving the rest of the card the same. That way the cards aren't all exactly the same, but they are still clearly part of a group. So when I created this wildflower card, I knew it had the potential to be a great layout for a card set.

Supplies:
Stamps: Beth's Coneflower, Art Definition, KB's Lavender (Endless Creations); Tiny Words (Simon Says Stamp); Shiplap Background (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Blackberry Bliss, Very Vanilla card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Blackberry Bliss, River Rock, Soft Suede, Old Olive, Crushed Curry (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Nested Banners dies (Simon Says Stamp), Sparkle Silk (Fun Stamper's Journey), clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), linen thread (Stampin' Up!), sponge (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I love these colors and flower images. I've had the coneflower stamp for quite awhile, but the lavender is newer. I think they work so well together.

To make the focal layer, I stamped the text background image near the middle of a panel of Very Vanilla card stock. I carefully inked up the flower images with different ink pads and stamped them over the text. I sponged ink around the edges of the panel to create an aged look, and then for contrast and a little sparkle, I sprinkled some Sparkle Silk over the images.

For the card base, I stamped the Shiplap Background stamp on Blackberry Bliss card stock using Blackberry Bliss ink. I adhered the panel to the card base and used foam tape to add a small banner stamped with a sentiment at the bottom of the flower stems. I used two neutral embellishments -- linen thread and clear droplets -- as the finishing touches.

And here is the set inspired by this card:

Supplies:
Stamps: Art Definition, KB's Lavender, Beth's Coneflower (Endless Creations); Tiny Words (Simon Says Stamp); Gorgeous Grunge (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Very Vanilla, thick Very Vanilla card stock (Stampin' Up!); Plum Punch, Grass Green card stock (Gina K Designs)
Ink: Plum Punch, Grass Green, Sandy Beach, Wild Dandelion, Chocolate Truffle amalgam (Gina K Designs)
Accessories: Stitched Frame Stacklets dies (Taylored Expressions), Nested Banners dies (Simon Says Stamp), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), shimmer spray made with Shimmer Liquid Watercolor (Taylored Expressions), sponge (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute), foam tape (3M)

I did make a few modifications to the design, in addition to the ink and card stock colors. First, I switched to a Very Vanilla card base. With a light card base, I didn't have to cut card stock panels to adhere inside the cards for writing. I also switched the image stamped on the card base from shiplap to a splatter-style image.

Since both the card base and the stamped panel were Very Vanilla, I wanted to separate them with a little color. So after I was finished stamping and sponging the panels, I glued a die-cut, stitched frame around each one (half in green, half in purple). Finally, I switched up the embellishments, using clear sequins instead of droplets because they are easier to mail. (I also left of the linen thread bow, although I honestly can't remember exactly why. I think it was just to save a little time.)


For the sentiment banners, I decided to let the recipient choose which sentiment to use on her cards -- or to leave them off altogether. I stamped eight all-occasion sentiments (two more than the number of cards in the set) on Very Vanilla card stock, cut them out with a banner die, and placed a thin strip of foam tape on the back of each one. I chose the most general sentiment ("thinking of you") and adhered it to one of the card bases, as an example of how to add the sentiments. Then I slipped the remaining mini banners into a small zip-close bag and placed them with the completed cards and envelopes in a clear acetate box.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the original and the adaptations for the set. Subtle text is so nice as a background - it doesn't draw attention to itself, but sets a great stage for the other elements. What a great idea to let the recipient add the sentiments!
Judy

Sunshine said...

Oh that's a great idea to let the recipient put the sentiments on the cards! I like both cards, with and without the bow! Pretty colours and love the subtle background word stamp! Great cards Andrea!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks so much, Judy and Sunshine! I always love your comments!