Thursday, July 25, 2019

July Christmas card: Winter cardinal

I've been having fun making watercolor washes for card backgrounds lately, so I decided to pull out my paints for my July Christmas card design. But this time I used them for the focal images instead of the background.

Supplies:
Paper: Whisper White note cards and envelopes, gold foil sheets (Stampin' Up!); woodgrain embossed card stock (Essentials by Ellen); Somerset Velvet watercolor paper (Marco's Paper)
Ink: Gansai Tambi waterolor paints - 30 (Cadmium Red), 35 (Carmine), 55 (Viridian), 58 (Sap Green Deep), 46 (Burnt Sienna), 47 (Raw Umber Deep) (Kuretake)
Accessories: Woodland Basics dies (WPlus9 Design Studio), gold sequins (The Makery), Bitty Banner punch (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), foam tape (3M), 1/8" Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal)

I created three washes on watercolor paper -- red, brown, and green -- mixing together two colors for each wash. While that was drying, I prepped the card bases. I used Whisper White note cards and envelopes and adhered a 3-1/2" x 5" piece of white woodgrain embossed card stock to the front of each card. (I just bought a pack of this card stock during a recent sale at the Ellen Hutson site. It's so beautiful, and it was perfect for this card design.)

Once the watercolor paints were dry, I started die cutting the pieces. Each card uses one bird, one pinecone, two small branches, and two large branches. When I was removing the pinecone shapes from the dies, some of the inner pieces fell out. Instead of removing the rest of the pieces, I decided to leave them as is, and I like the effect; each one is a little different.


I adhered the branches and pinecone near the middle of each card front with liquid glue, and then I used foam tape to attach the cardinals. I wanted to keep the embellishment simple but still bring in a little glitz, so I added a little banner punched from gold foil and three gold sequins.

Christmas is exactly five months away. (Where does the time go?) I'm glad I've got a good chunk of my cards done! Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What pretty Christmassy colours on the cards! I like the embossed background, it matches the theme of the cards! I also like how you did the pine cones, with pieces missing. They look very real!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.om

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards! The bold red and the foil accents are prefect. (Five months to Christmas! How did that happen? I don't have a lot of cards to make, but I always tell myself I'll shop earlier.)
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks so much!

Andrea said...

Thank you, Judy!