Saturday, July 20, 2019

Stenciled backgrounds

Ink blending with stencils is a popular trend in card-making, and I have seen so many amazing cards with stenciled backgrounds. I'm just getting into this technique, but I had fun making these two cards:

Supplies:
Stamps: Special Sentiments (Penny Black)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Basic Black, textured Bermuda Bay card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko),; Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks - Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Picked Raspberry, Twisted Citron, Peacock Feathers (Ranger)
Accessories: Blooming Garden stencil (The Crafter's Workshop), blender brushes (Picket Fence Studios), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Cookie Monster enamel dot (Taylored Expressions), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)

I love all the flowers on this stencil, and I knew I wanted to buy it as soon as I saw it. I placed the stencil on white card stock, chose a spring-y color pallet, and applied the various inks with blender brushes. It's so fun to pull away the stencil and see the end result! And since I used Distress Oxide inks, I spritzed a little bit of water over the stenciling; it's hard to see in the photo, but there are a few little water spots on the pink rose.

The stenciled piece was larger than the size of the card, so I trimmed the white card stock down to 3-3/4" x 5". I didn't want to cover up the background, so I chose a sentiment and stamped it directly over the stenciling with black ink. I attached the panel to a layer of black card stock and used foam tape to mount the piece to a card base made with textured Bermuda Bay card stock. For embellishment, I added a blue enamel dot in the center of the largest flower and three clear sequins around the sentiment.

Supplies:
Stamps: Grand Greetings, A Happy Hello (Gina K Designs)
Paper: Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!), Tranquil Teal card stock (Gina K Designs)
Ink: Key Lime, Sea Glass, Tranquil Teal (Gina K Designs)
Accessories: Square Mandala stencil (Gina K Designs), blending brushes (Picket Fence Studios), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen (Kuretake), glitter enamel dots (Stampin' Up!), Dimensionals

For this stencil I used summery colors and applied Key Lime in the center of the stencil, Sea Glass in a circle around that, and then Tranquil Teal over the rest of the stencil. I adhered the panel to a Tranquil Teal card base and added a strip of white card stock stamped with a birthday sentiment.

I stamped the flower two times on white card stock using Sea Glass ink. I cut out the flowers by hand, trimming the outer petals off one of them. I used Dimensionals to attach the smaller flower on the larger one and then added a few stamped and hand-cut leaves. I added the flower to the left side of the sentiment strip and added three glitter enamel dots to finish the card.

Are you into the stencil trend? I'm excited to try these stencils -- and the other ones in my stash -- with different colors and layouts. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Beautiful Andrea! My fave is the first card just because I like those colours! But they are both just beautiful! The first one is very similar to the background of your blog!
Have an awesome Sunday!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Oh my goodness, the first card is similar to my blog background. How funny!