Thursday, August 22, 2019

One-layer card: Yellow flowers

I had a little time this morning between chores and errands, and it was the prefect chance to make a couple of clean and simple (CAS) single-layer cards for Challenge #166 at the Addicted to CAS blog. I learned about the challenge through another blog I follow, Stampin' with Jaydee, and I think I'll have to try more of these challenges in the future, because CAS cards are some of my favorites. I'm going to share the cards in two separate posts, so here is the first one:

Supplies:
Stamps: Weekend Doodles (Altenew)
Paper: Solar White 110-lb card stock (Neenah)
Ink: Fadeout Ink (Ink on 3); colored pencils - PC916, PC1003, PC1002, PC911 (PrismaColor); Basic Gray (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Washi tape (Stampin' Up!), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Gamsol kit (Taylored Expressions), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I make CAS cards often, and they don't usually have too many layers. But I do like to add a little dimension by popping up the sentiment or focal image on a card. So to make a card with only one layer was a fun little challenge.

I started by pulling out the Weekend Doodles stamp set from Altenew, which I've had for awhile but haven't used yet. It has perfect images for one-layer cards. I selected this pretty bunch of flowers and decided to have a go with a technique I think I've only tried once before: no-line coloring.

I stamped the image with Fadeout ink and then traced over the image and colored it in with colored pencils. I also blended the pencils with Gamsol to soften the lines a bit.

I like how the flowers turned out -- yellow flowers are so cheery! -- but the leaves aren't quite right. I think the outlines on the leaves seem a little too dark. But for a second try, it's not too bad. I just need to practice more. (Practice is not something I'm good at. Not because I don't want to do the work, but because the perfectionist in me wants to be able to do something perfectly the first time I try it. Silly, I know, and also a little frustrating.)

To finish this CAS card, I stamped a sentiment next to the flowers, added a few tiny clear sequins and adhered a strip of gray striped washi tape along the bottom of the card to coordinate with the color of the sentiment.

And that's it! You can check out my second card for the Addicted to CAS challenge in my next post: "One-layer card: blue and green wreath." Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Sunshine said...

Love these gorjuss cheerful yellow flowers Andrea! Such a "happy" colour! The no line colouring looks great, well done! The sentiment is a perfect match for such "happy" flowers!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Laurie Unger said...

This is wonderful! I really like the addition of the washi tape - really sets it apart.

Beverly S. said...

Lovely card...and you sound like me when it comes to practicing in regard to my crafts. I too just want it to be perfect the first time I do it....but some things take a lot of practice. ha-ha I've learned that the hard way with my Copics. :) I'm just starting to do CAS cards (I struggle doing them because I want to keep adding and adding to them). Yours is perfect though. :)

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous choice of flowers, Andrea! Once again, your color palette is stunning and I don't think your leaves are too dark :) Thank you again for joining us at Addicted to CAS!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I thought that sentiment was a good one, too. :)

Andrea said...

Thanks, Beverly!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Barb! I had a lot of fun with this challenge, and I hope to participate in more. :)