Monday, June 8, 2015

French country style for a color challenge

Since I had fun creating a card for the last Fab Friday challenge -- and my card was even chosen as one of the Fab Four! Woo hoo! -- I decided to take a stab at the next challenge, too. This round was a color challenge featuring Hello Honey, Marina Mist and Night of Navy.

Card made with the Carte Postale stamp set and the colors Hello Honey, Marina Mist and Night of Navy for the Fab Friday 65 challenge.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Carte Postale
Paper: Marina Mist, Night of Navy, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Marina Mist, Night of Navy, Hello Honey ink pads and markers
Accessories: Chalk Talk Framelits dies, Lacy Brocade embossing folder, Hello Honey stitched satin ribbon, Shine & Sparkle sequin tubes (Hazel & Ruby), color spritzer, sponge, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

These colors would be a great combo for a Father's Day card, but they always make me think of French Provençal or French country design. (I even noticed these three hues on a chart of Provence colors.) So I pulled out an old French-themed stamp set, Carte Postale, and created a card with a feminine feel.

I started with a Marina Mist card base and stamped the branch image repeatedly across the card front using Marina Mist ink. I added a touch of darker blue to the background by spritzing the Night of Navy marker over the stamped images and sponging ink along the edges

To add a little texture I embossed a small piece of Night of Navy card stock with the Lacy Brocade embossing folder. I tore a bit of card stock off the top and the bottom of the strip and adhered it near the upper left corner of the card base.

Fab Friday 65 color challenge: Hello Honey, Marina Mist, Night of Navy.
For the focal point, I used Hello Honey and Marina Mist markers to apply ink to the floral image and stamped it on Very Vanilla card stock. I used one of the Chalk Talk Framelits dies to cut out the image and then sponged the edges of the shape with Night of Navy ink. I stamped the bird on a separate piece of Very Vanilla card stock, cut it out and adhered it to the focal panel with Dimensionals. I stamped "Bonjour" in Marina Mist, added a bit of Hello Honey ribbon and attached the focal panel to the card base with Dimensionals.

To finish off the card I stamped "Mon Amie" in the lower right corner using Night of Navy and added a few simple sequins.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Brian King said...

Beautiful! I love this combination of shapes and colors! The background on this card is subtle and beautiful. Thanks for playing along with this FabFriday color challenge.

Amanda Mertz said...

Lovely french country styled card! The different layers and textures work wonderfully together! Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!