Sunday, June 7, 2015

Masculine cards in neutral colors

I'm finally getting to the end of the birthday card stash I gave my uncle last month. In this post I'm going to share the last three cards, which are all masculine designs featuring neutral colors. Although I created these as birthday cards, the designs also would be great for other occasions -- such as thank you, retirement, or Father's Day -- by just changing the sentiment.

Note: I apologize for the poor, very shadowy pictures. If you have any questions about something that is hard to see in the photos (or anything else), please leave me a comment, and I will respond as soon as I can.

Masculine birthday card made with embossed background and 3D stamp paint.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Vintage Labels
Paper: Crumb Cake, Basic Gray card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Clockworks embossing folder (Cuttlebug), Basics Glimmer Brads, 1" circle punch, copper cord (unknown), Walnut Brown and Silver 3D stamp paints (Viva Decor), distressing tool (Making Memories), spouncer stencil brush (Plaid)

Combining an embossed background and 3D stamp paint is an easy way to make an impressive background. For this card I embossed a piece of Basic Gray card stock with the Clockworks embossing folder and then used a spouncer brush to apply Walnut Brown and Silver 3D stamp paint all over the card stock. (The paint dries almost immediately, so there's very little waiting time.) By applying the paint in a circular motion, the colors blend together in some spots.

I embossed a second piece of card stock, cut out the largest gear and painted it. I used a metallic brad to attach the gear to the panel, so it actually turns. I distressed the edges of the card stock panel, wrapped copper cord around the bottom portion, tied on a Crumb Cake tag stamped with "Happy Birthday" and adhered the completed panel to a Crumb Cake card base.

Masculine birthday card made with Papa's Pocket stamp set.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Papa's Pocket, It's Your Birthday
Paper: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Basic Gray, Early Espresso ink refill
Accessories: Linen thread, Naturals Designer Buttons, distressing tool (Making Memories), Aqua Painter

For this card I made my own background by repeatedly stamping images from the Papa's Pocket set using Basic Gray ink on a Crumb Cake card base. (Tip: When stamping a collage-style background, start with the largest images and work toward the smallest ones so it is easier to fill in empty spaces.) Then I used an Aqua Painter brush to pick up a little bit of Early Espresso ink and lightly tapped the brush to make the spatters. I stamped the sentiment on a strip of Very Vanilla card stock, tore the right end of the strip and accented the left side with a wooden-looking button tied with linen thread. To add to the vintage feel of the card, I used a distressing tool along the edges of the card front.

Masculine card made with Wolf stamp set.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Wolf
Paper: Basic Black, Sahara Sand, Shimmery White card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Hello Honey, Sahara Sand
Accessories: Wood sheets, Birch Tree embossing folder (Darice), Cappuccino baker's twine (Hemptique), Aqua Painter, Dimensionals

For the focal image on this card, I stamped the wolf's head on Shimmery White card stock. Using an Aqua Painter brush, I applied a quick wash of Sahara Sand ink over the image and then added a bit of Hello Honey ink to the eyes to make them stand out. I tore the edges of the card stock around the image to add some texture.

For the background, I embossed a piece of Sahara Sand card stock with the Birch Trees embossing folder. I adhered a strip of the wood sheets across the top portion of the embossed card stock and tied a piece of baker's twine around it. (You can't tell in the photo, but the baker's twine is actually a subtle cream and white stripe.) I used Dimensionals to adhere the focal image over the knot in the twine and then attached the completed panel to a Basic Black card base.

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: